Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice

I am torn on what to do. I'm in my mid forties,drowning in debt I can't seem to get out of. I'm seriously thinking a Chapter 7 filing. The only asset I have is my car,which I know I won't lose but that is what is killing me right now. Covid has really killed me this year and Filing for bankruptcy seems to be my only option. I'm just full of anxiety not knowing what to expect. I realize I'll probably lose my car and that's fine as I can pay my rent. I just feel so low right now not knowing what to expect. My credit score sucks and hoping the bankruptcy will give a fresh start and build that credit back up in no time and I'll be debt free. I'm just so down not knowing what to do and if I'll be fine in this process. Thank you for listening. I just needed to vent my frustrations out.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Advice

@Anonymous I am sorry for your troubles. Covid 19 has had a tremendous effect on all of us, directly and indirectly. 2020 has been quite a year. Hopefully, we can resume some sense of normalcy in 2021-2022.

While I have zero experience with bankruptcy,  I can tell you that a lot of folks often mention that their only regret was not filing sooner.

If you are considering it, I would advise consulting with several bankruptcy attorneys and finding one you like (and can afford). 

Someone with more experience will reply shortly.

In the meantime, keep your head up, start a small savings account. Know that others have been where you are and you can find your way back.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 15
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

I say if it is causing you this much stress and anxiety, and rebuilding would take ages and leave you with little or nothing while barely making a dent in the debt, then file. I attempted to rebuild for two years before I decided to file BK. My scores did improve, but the collection calls were still coming in, I still couldn't get prime cards or low rate financing, and my credit rating was stuck at fair (wouldn't budge after 640) even after all the progress I felt I'd made. Within two years of filling, my scores were already back to or better than where they were after my pre-BK rebuild. I got the same cards back PLUS better ones with much higher limits, was able to qualify for an auto loan with a single digit APR, and all the collection calls are a thing of the past. I can apply for financing without shame or fear, and I'm much more responsible this time around.

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Coming from someone who filed in late August and am expecting a discharge in about 30 days, do it and don't look back!

It sounds like you are mainly no asset, which should be a very easy process.  Definitely hire an attorney to do the grunt work and have your back.  The 341 meeting of creditors is as easy as most say, literally 2 minutes and it was over and the trustee wished me good luck.   

Since I filed my morale has changed totally!  I'm paying for everything with cash and not having to worry about how I'm making the $700 minimum payment to Bank of America this month.  (Yeah my situation was that bad on top of 8 other credit cards with $200-$300 min payments.).  

You are worrying now about much of the unknown which is so much better than continuing down the road it sounds like you are on!  Best of luck on whatever decision you make!

Message 4 of 15
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Your being torn is a normal result of being overwhelmed just as i was. Covid epidemic is adversely affected many and as the anxiety grows it only gets worse. I experienced this firsthand but steadfastly combing the forums here it was encouraging that there IS a path forward with better decision making and progress once you complete the BK process.

One thing i will add. I wish i had Filed sooner but it was still a HUGE relief from the growing pressures & anxiety of being overwhelmed with the circumstances it places you in. I would find as others suggested a BK attorney you are comfortable with and honestly, the sooner is the better when faced with a decision of going the BK route. Afterwards you will be glad that you did and rebuilding isn't so difficult.

Best of Luck

Message 5 of 15
DebtStinks
Established Contributor

As said before, most individuals (myself included) tried to put a bandaid on a bullet wound prior to filing...and our only regret was not filing sooner.

It's a tough pill to swallow, but you'll likely sleep better, feel better, not worry about who's calling you, etc.

Speak to a few good attorneys since most initial consultations are free of charge. If you want to get the most accurate information possible, bring with you a written/printed list of all your monthly expenses and income, (2) most recent years tax returns, paystub (6 months worth if not same salary) since the 6 most recent months of income matter most, titles to all vehicles/boats, etc you own, list of all assets like jewelry/tools, etc, bank statements for the last couple months since the trustee (if filing immediately) will look to ensure no large non-payroll related deposits, make sure you haven't used credit cards for excessive purchases in the last 90 days (like a vacation to France, etc), make sure you haven't take out any cash advances on cards in the last 90 days, hopefully no new credit cards/loans recently...I could go on and on...long story short, the courts will scrutinize your every last financial move in the recent past. It's not something to worry about, because as long as you haven't intended to defraud anyone it should be a pretty easy process.

I'll add this...while I'm not an attorney, I have been through (like many others on here) what you're going through financially. There are some attorneys on here, and while they won't (and I don't think they can) admit it/promote their services, they are IMO pretty reliable sources of information. Ultimately, trust what a good local attorney you can hire tells you to do. It's in their best interest to get your debt discharged and a clean slate going forward.

Best of luck!

NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 (Opened 1/19) - NFCU Platinum $21000 (Opened 1/21) - TTCU Platinum Visa $10000 (Opened 10/18) - Discover $5500 (Opened 11/21) - Barclays View MC $5000 (Opened 1/19) - Capital One Platinum $3500 (Opened 2/19) - Capital One World Elite MC $1000 (Opened 3/21) - Target Store Card $2000 (Opened 10/18) - Floor & Decor Store Card $42500 (Opened 10/18)
Closed - PenFed $35,000 - Cap1 World Elite MC $11,200
Total CL - $115500

CH7 BK Filed 8/1/17 Discharged 11/7/17

Scores as of 2/18/21:

Inquiries Last 12 Months:
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I definitely have to co sign what everyone else is saying. I too wish I had do it sooner as I would have discharge already and working on my rebuild All in good time though I'm expecting my discharge around about mid January. I too was stressed wasn't sleeping and whole nine yard The process was easy despite my anxiety I also had no assets as for my MOC meeting I was on hold longer than the actual meeting now my phone don't ring I sleep well and have an over all good feeling about the future going forward One of the best decisions I ever made So don't wait it may look dark now but a brighter future is within reach 

Message 7 of 15
jj1983
Established Member

Message 8 of 15
jj1983
Established Member

Upsolve is the best place to file BR I used them and it was free and so easy as well... I refuse to pay a lawyer 2500 for something I could do myself....

@Anonymous wrote:

I am torn on what to do. I'm in my mid forties,drowning in debt I can't seem to get out of. I'm seriously thinking a Chapter 7 filing. The only asset I have is my car,which I know I won't lose but that is what is killing me right now. Covid has really killed me this year and Filing for bankruptcy seems to be my only option. I'm just full of anxiety not knowing what to expect. I realize I'll probably lose my car and that's fine as I can pay my rent. I just feel so low right now not knowing what to expect. My credit score sucks and hoping the bankruptcy will give a fresh start and build that credit back up in no time and I'll be debt free. I'm just so down not knowing what to do and if I'll be fine in this process. Thank you for listening. I just needed to vent my frustrations out.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone. I'm going to do this. After seeing the replies tonight it's making me feel better. Now it's just a matter of do it myself with upsolve or an attorney.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.