Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a new checking account

tag
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Need a new checking account

I am about to file for chapter 7 and I was advised that I should close my checking account since I'm including that creditor in my bankruptcy. Schwab checking turned us down for info in our equifax report. I tried fidelity and they opened the account but every time we use our debit cards, they freeze it for suspected fraud. I call to verify information basically every day and they can't figure out why it keeps happening so obviously fidelity won't be an option anymore. Where have you all been able to open accounts prior to bankruptcy but with poor credit? Thanks in advance for your help.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Need a new checking account

Are you on chex system?  If you are not then you should be able to open an account any where you like.  I personally would try a credit union in your area.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 14
Kaydee84
New Contributor

I shouldn't be. I dont have any checking accounts delinquent. Also, Schwab said it was equifax that was the problem not Chex systems
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes when you file BK the instiution will report you to CHEX even if you included them in BK. You should follow up with CHEX and request a copy of your report. If you are listed on there, you should be able to send them a copy of your BK and they'll remove it. I would strongly suggest a local CU. I would go with the biggest one in your area since they would be easier to work with regarding lending guidelines etc.

Message 4 of 14
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Thank you I will try there. I didn't file yet but am about to.
Message 5 of 14
stellar
Established Contributor

Pull your Chexsystems report anyway.

If you truly can't get a checking account, you can always use those reloadable cards where you can have your checks direct deposited.  

Or use cash and money orders.

Message 6 of 14
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Try Capital One 360, they are what used to be ING Direct.  I had them while I was going through bankruptcy, they never touched my 360 account. 

After you get a discharge and clear up your Chexsystems report, do try a credit union-- they are many good ones out there and a great boost to start your rebuild. 

Message 7 of 14
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Thank you. We do still have a wells fargo checking but my husband works for them and doesn't like to use accounts at places he works.

Message 8 of 14
Kaydee84
New Contributor

Not sure if I can use capitalone 360 because Capital One is one of my creditors.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely avoid trying to get a bank account w/ Capital One. 

I have a spotless Chexsystems report, but because I have moved 3 times in the last 5 years and have "No Evidence of Property" they declined me due to my "Qualifile score", which is a new score some of the institutions are going off of rather than looking ot see if you have baddies on your Chex. 

I also have a spotless EWS report and have been able to open a Wells Fargo account - so that's nice. 

It was probably the most annoying experience I've ever had with Capital One. Every other experience has been awesome. 

If you're just looking for an easy account to get your direct deposit into, Simple bank is by far my favorite account for budgeting. I use it in conjunction with my Wells Fargo & Navy Federal because transfers out of Simple go into your other account the very next business day and I don't run the risk of not having any account if my card gets skimmed or some other fraud situation. 

Hope it helps! 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.