cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need guidance

tag
AlwaysBlessed

Need guidance

Due to unforeseen circumstances related to health and post-divorce custody, I have acquired credit card and personal loan debt of 200k. In addition to an IRS bill of 40k and attorney bills. 

I really do not want to file for bankruptcy. But I am overwhelmed and I'm having trouble keeping up with debt settlements I made when sued by two creditors. As much as I'd rather not, I think it may be the only option. I own a home. 

What options do you suggest?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need guidance

Definitely talk to an attorney. Possibly a few of them until you find one that you like. Usually the initial consultation is free and they can go over your options with you. But with that kind of issue you're dealing with, I would definitely seek out an attorney, sooner rather than later.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 2 of 4
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

I would research the top 3 in your area and sit down for an initial consultation with them. 

Message 3 of 4
Catbird_Seat
Contributor

@AlwaysBlessed wrote:

Due to unforeseen circumstances related to health and post-divorce custody, I have acquired credit card and personal loan debt of 200k. In addition to an IRS bill of 40k and attorney bills. 

I really do not want to file for bankruptcy. But I am overwhelmed and I'm having trouble keeping up with debt settlements I made when sued by two creditors. As much as I'd rather not, I think it may be the only option. I own a home. 

What options do you suggest?

I was able to include IRS tax debt I had in my BK7 because it fell within the time limit. 

When you see a lawyer, make sure to let them know about the tax debt.

Please see a lawyer sooner than later, to avoid the taxes going from a debt to a lien. 

I filed post divorce as well & I put it off far longer than I should have because I mistakenly thought I could somehow get myself out from under that pile of debt. Unless I magically won the lottery, that was never going to happen. 

It is okay to file if you need to, the immediate mental relief you get after filing is worth it alone.

No more stressing over debt, struggling to find a way out.

Think of it as a tool to get control of your finances, that's what it is. 

I'm two years post discharge & my finances have never looked this good.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.