Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help/advise after Bankruptcy!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help/advise after Bankruptcy!!!

Hello all,

Never thought I would be in this position but I am. I have a great job. I got  my discharge in July of 2011.

I dont know my scores as of yet so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be great.

I make very good money and have no credit cards, no mortgage or any way to boost my credit score at all.

I need advise on how to get restarted in the right direction.

Thanks, landlocked.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help/advise after Bankruptcy!!!

I know little about BKs, but I do know things get better as time passes. You can pull your scores via the links below (FICO® Standard if looking for a one-time pull to see where things stand).

I recommend restarting via a secured CC. The limit doesn't matter, but it'll go a long way. Always PIF and remain out of debt.

Message 2 of 9
Chad3304
Valued Member

Hello, I was discharged 7/28/11 and I have 2 capital one cards, fingerhut, creditone, firestone, and orchard bank gave me an pre approval but just letting things age now, oh and I also have a auto loan from Chase I got last week, as my fiance had to have a co signer on her new car. So I would try the pre-qualifyer at orchard, and capital one.Goodluck.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone tell me how long it takes for bankruptcy to fall off your credit, and how to speed of the process? it's been 7 seven years and I have a orchard bank card too it is a great new start to rebuild credit score I started with limit of $300 last year May - limit increase to 4200 this was unexpected happy surprise.

Thanks so much

Message 4 of 9
penelope10
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all,

Never thought I would be in this position but I am. I have a great job. I got  my discharge in July of 2011.

I dont know my scores as of yet so if someone can point me in the right direction it would be great.

I make very good money and have no credit cards, no mortgage or any way to boost my credit score at all.

I need advise on how to get restarted in the right direction.

Thanks, landlocked.

I filed ch 7 bk in 2002.  I never had to get  a secured card.  Both Capital One and HSBC gave me unsecured cards within 6 months.  Reestablishing credit worthiness after bk is very important, but make sure you PIF each month the credit you take on to avoid going down the same rabbit hole again.

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 9
penelope10
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone tell me how long it takes for bankruptcy to fall off your credit, and how to speed of the process? it's been 7 seven years and I have a orchard bank card too it is a great new start to rebuild credit score I started with limit of $300 last year May - limit increase to 4200 this was unexpected happy surprise.

Thanks so much

Chapter 7 bankruptcy remains on your credit report for 10 years from the month you filed.  Take a look at your credit report, it will tell you the date it is to be removed.  On TU and EQ, mine is slated to be removed the month prior to me filing.  On EX, it is scheduled to be removed the same month I filed.  Hope this helps.

Starting Score 5/1/2002: 553
Current Score 5/30/2012: 785 (EQ FICO)
Current Score 10/2/2012: 803 (TU FICO)
Goal Score: 800

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there! I would suggest the same, apply for the HSBC (orchard bank) and Capital One. Anoher good options is to get a secured card (make sure it has the option to convert to UNSECURED after some time) this way you can improve your credit limits and as a consequence your credit scores. The orchard bank card will not expand your credit limit. Capital one yes. Try a secured card with a or well know credit union. They have better rates and they will also help you get a car loan after time. Check your fico scores and try to get a car loan, not right now, but for sure that will help a lot! I can pass you on more info but this is a good start. Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
chasmith
Valued Contributor

One of the best things I did was to join a Credit Union (NFCU - not all can join).  I put money in savings to secure an installment loan.  Then used the loan proceeds to secure a credit catd.  A "double play" that got me two good credit lines, and showed "credit mix" with an installment loan.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok guys and Girls i'm in the game now. I got a secured 1000.00 loand from my credit union and a secured credit card from PNC bank.

Both will report to the credit agencies. Now I have to do my art.

I walked into the belly of the beast...Bank of America and deposited money and opened a savings and a checking account. I will just let the money sit

there and add some every month but not use it yet. I may need a mortgage from them someday so I decided to go to the dark side..he he just joking.

Thanks to this site and the good advise all have given me. I will post my starting score and post as it goes up.

Thanks, landlocked.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.