Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help - very confused

tag
Cat27hargadon
New Contributor

Need help - very confused

I filed for chapter 7 bankruptcy on 1/6/15.  My 341 meeting is 2/10/15.  I still have (3) accounts that are listed closed, but with balances.  I keep reading about cleaning up your reports. 

- Do i pay and pull my reports now or wait until i am discharged?

- should the (3) cards still be showing a balance?

- public records and charge off that are still showing balances.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help - very confused

They will still show a balance until you are discharged.  The balances still exist until discharged.  However, they are not able to collect from you until then.  (There is a stay of collection.)

Message 2 of 6
Cat27hargadon
New Contributor

So do i pay for the reports now, or wait until i am techically discharged?

Message 3 of 6
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Well, it never hurts to start looking at what you can clean up now.  However, they won't be 0 balance until discharge.  I started with the myfico score watch subscription and when they came out with the 3 score monitoring, I signed up for that.  It comes with a report and is a lot cheaper then the $59 for all 3 of them one time.  I would say pull reports for free from annualcreditreport.com to start with, then once you get your discharge, get a sub and follow the 24 months to 700 thread here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Keep in mind, everyone is different and just adjust it to how you feel most comfortable.  That report recommends putting the charge on the new credit one card to help build your credit. (so it has something reporting.)

Message 4 of 6
Cat27hargadon
New Contributor

I had the following cards burned in BK.

Credit One $300

Capital One $500

First Premier $300

Would it be possible to get back with the above soon after BK? If not, what would be some comparable options?

Message 5 of 6
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Hmm.  It may be a bit hard.  I know I couldn't get Capital One card, even though people say they don't blacklist, I get instant denial for past credit performance on their cards.  (I had 3 of them IIB, $300, $500 and $700) and I replaced the Capital One card with a Barclay Rewards card at 7 months post-bk.  I was able to get a $1300 limit with that.

I opened a local credit union secured 1 month after discharge.  You can also try something like a Merrick secured card as well.   Some people have recommended DCU as well, for the credit builder account.

Another option is selflender.com --  I signed up for that last month, but from what I understand, it takes 2 months to appear on your CR.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.