Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help w/ cleaning up credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help w/ cleaning up credit

I'm 28 with a experian fico of 656. I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in Oct of 2003. I declared due to a marriage gone bad. He left me with a bunch of bills in my name and some were joint. I got all of the ones in my name charged off and forgive me in advance for not know much about this. But now I check my report years later (i know i should have monitored it better) and i see 2 accts that still have a balance from my joint accounts. One is a loan from a credit union and one is a credit card from the same credit union. The current status on these is "Unpaid balance reported as a loss by credit grantor" and im not too sure what this means. They still have a balance and it says both these accounts have 26 payments past due over 90 days each. They have been giving me a past due every month since the last activity in 2004. I talked to the credit union 6 months ago and they told me the accounts were "charged off" but now I see this. Can anyone offer me any advice. I'm worried that my credit is forever ruined with 62 late payments that are 90 days past due! help!
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Need help w/ cleaning up credit

you need to dispute this with the bureaus and if it comes back verified then there are sample letters here that you can write to the creditor telling them that it is illegal to continue to report a balance on a discharged debt.  That is viewed as an attempt to collect and a violation of the auto stay.  Send any correspondance RRR and document all conversations completely.  If they refuse then you should contact a consumer attorney in your area or because they are local, file a small claims against them for these violations (usually 1000 per instance)  but do your research first
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.