Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Car and a new chapter 13

tag
Lawns1
New Contributor

New Car and a new chapter 13

So I have a little bit of an interesting scenario and I would love some feedback from the group. My 341 meeting for my 100% chapter 13 is in mid December and the lease on my car is up in April of next year. Absolutely horrible timing and my attorney and I talked about this from the consult so he’s in the loop. He put in the bankruptcy for us to be able to get a new car loan with a set maximum payment without trustee approval when our leases expire.

1. How likely is it for me to get approved for a loan this soon into the 13? Income is not an issue, $200,000+.

2. Is there anything I can do to prepare for this credit wise?

3. I have a family member that is willing to help me, what’s the best way for that to happen? Large down payment? Co-signer? Him primary with me on the loan?

Current vehicle is through Chrysler Capital and is being paid outside the 13 payment. Loan is current with 2-3 30 days on the history for that loan.
Credit Unions

Credit Cards

Auto Loans

April 2023 right before the 13 reports complete

December 2022

November 2019 Chapter 13 Scores

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: New Car and a new chapter 13

Any credit moves after filing a Chapter 13 has to go thru your lawyer to the trustee and get their blessings or not. There are some exceptions to to the rules. But since your lawyer knows what your intentions are. They'd know more than we would.Thats JMO. Maybe some one else knows some more ins and outs.

Message 2 of 5
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Just to provide a little insight, I'm currently in 13, and I had an accident last year that totaled my car.  Needless to say I had to get a new car and found out that there were a few hoops to jump through.  Ultimately, my father ended up getting the car for me in his name and I pay the note every month.  Is it possible sure, will you get the great greatest rate more than likely not.  I would look in to purchasing a car cash until your 13 wraps up if that's feasible for you.  

Message 3 of 5
Lawns1
New Contributor

I absolutely agree on reaching out when the time comes. I planned on getting it in writing from my attorney at that time even though it’s in writing in the bankruptcy paperwork. The less waves I create the better off I am!
Credit Unions

Credit Cards

Auto Loans

December 2022

Message 4 of 5
Lawns1
New Contributor

I’m absolutely going to explore the angle of him getting the car and me paying him for sure.
Credit Unions

Credit Cards

Auto Loans

December 2022

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.