cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Update! Trying to correct reports after my D/C...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Update! Trying to correct reports after my D/C...

This is one thing I'm unsure of and need help from anyone who knows.

Apparently I had a comenity card that was charged off a month prior to my filing ch7. I didn't know this. I noticed it never updated to IIB so I called them. They said that they are no longer handling the account and to contact PRA, whomever they are, but I never heard from them and was never aware. 

The Comenity account does state $0 owed/closed/discharged debt, but still shows a credit limit. Should that say $0 as well? 

Everything else is reporting correctly it seems except this. 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Trying to correct reports after my D/C...

Sounds  like it wasnt included in bankruptcy as it was charged off prior. We're you including them, and did they know?

Search the forum for PRA and/or Portfolio Recovery Associates. There's a ton of info in regards to dealing with them.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I didn't know it was charged off and also didn't know they sold it. Never heard from them at all. I had a lot of comenity cards but they were all closed due to inactivity that now say IIB and yes, they were sent a letter from my attorney. So now what? Is this about to be another nightmare?

Message 3 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Just re-read your post. You said they charged it off a month prior to you filing. At this point you need to deal with PRA to get it resolved. It'll be reported as a charge off and they have no problem suing for as little as $1000. The good news is their new policy is to remove the charge off once it's taken care of. If you beat them to it, you could settle before it gets reported at all.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My understanding is that any debts prior to filing are included. I did include them but I didn't know about the charge off or the selling of the debt. They (PRA) have also never sent me anything or reported anything.

Message 5 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My understanding is that any debts prior to filing are included. I did include them but I didn't know about the charge off or the selling of the debt. They (PRA) have also never sent me anything or reported anything.

In that case, I would think your attorney needs to contact them to take back that account from PRA. He should also make sure that they're reporting the account as included in bankruptcy, not as a charge off.

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. He's a shrewd lawyer. Hopefully in my favor. I'm so over all this.  Never had to deal with anything negative, credit-wise, before.

Message 7 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. He's a shrewd lawyer. Hopefully in my favor. I'm so over all this.  Never had to deal with anything negative, credit-wise, before.

Nobody expects to. I never thought I'd be rebuilding in my late 30s, but all it takes is 1 hospital visit, or losing your job, or accident. At least we can bounce back.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nobody expects to. I never thought I'd be rebuilding in my late 30s, but all it takes is 1 hospital visit, or losing your job, or accident. At least we can bounce back.

I'm in my 50's. Pretty depressing. I should be feeling relieved that I was discharged a few days ago but I actually feel worse than before I filed. I am unsure if everything is good now or if I just made it all worse. Going from getting any credit card or auto loan I wanted to this is all new to me. 

Message 9 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

It's depressing and frustrating, but you'll bounce back in a year or so. You'll be fine.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.