cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not AU but joint card, how to handle removal?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not AU but joint card, how to handle removal?

In going over my CRs after my BK, one item that stands out is a card that remains open. It is at one of the same institutions that I included in BK. It shows as a joint card and for a while it was reporting a zero balance but just a few days ago it updated to report a balance with 19% util.

I now realize exactly what this is. It is a card that my ex-husband opened shortly before we decided to separate - it was supposed to be his card but apparently it got opened as joint and my memories of this time in my life are not the best. Our divorce is over and finalized. My BK7 is now also over and finalized. I imagine this is not as easy as asking to be removed as an AU. He would probably have to close out the account altogether, right? Our relationship is friendly enough, but I still don't imagine I'd have an easy time convincing him of that, and he shouldn't have to anyway if this is his account.

I imagine my first step is to contact him to ask if he remembers if it was a joint application and whether we can contact the bank to have me removed, which is a conversation I don't look forward to but I guess I'll have to do.

This will likely hurt my age of accounts considerably if I am able to successfully remove it from my report, but I'm also nervous about that util trending upward (I know it's acceptable right now) and beside that, it's just not my card. He may prefer I leave things alone, but that would at least be his request.

If anyone has any further guidance to offer, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not AU but joint card, how to handle removal?

You can contact the bank and they may alter the agreement if your ex-spouse can qualify to maintain the card themselves.

https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/getting-removed-as-joint-credit-card-account-holder/

You'll need the approval of all parties: you, the ex-spouse, and the lender.

I highly suggest heading over to the "Relationships and Money" forum and type divorce joint in the searchbar as this is a common question.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not AU but joint card, how to handle removal?

Thanks. Believe it or not I do perform searches before asking Q's; I just must not be hitting the right keywords. 

I emailed the ex and we'll see what I'm able to work out between him and the issuer.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.