Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Month Post Discharge....

tag
getridofccdebt
New Contributor

One Month Post Discharge....

This unfirtunatelt was my second time around. This time really hurt because a business oartner took advantage of me and my rebuilt credit from my past mistakes. Used my credit cards for business related expenses and then didn't pay them and left me on the hook also babkrupting the company. Stinks, another tough lesson learned. Burned a lot of of really good instituitons this time too:

-Amex (platinum)

-Barlcays

-Citi

-Cap One

-Discover

-Credit One 

Rebuild is going to be difficult. As of now I have my school loans reporting. I retained my car but didn't reaffirm. (Not sure if I should). Current employment is a brand new career with much less income right now. 

Looks like I will have to start with a secured card from Open Sky when I can afford the deposit. I have cjecked the Merrick Bank prequal site few times with no luck. Obviously Credit One, Cap One and Discover do me no good as I burned them Smiley Sad

Wanna say thanks to the forum, really appreciate the input from the members. Nice to know there are knowledgable people oput there that can help you thru difficult times!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: One Month Post Discharge....

Sorry you got the shaft from your partner in business. That sucks. Yes you can go for OpenSky.  1 store card that you'll use could work. Since your car isnt reporting an installment. Theres always self lender for the loan part of the FICO mix. Wait it out 6-8 months and start the pre-qual hunt again for Disco, Cap1, and Merrick again. Stay away from Credit None, First Premiere, and those famous fee ridden cards. Its going to take a slow progressive hunt one by one and spread out over time. Once things get better. It'll be easier then. Again sorry about the snafu you had. No where to go from here but up the ladder! Good Luck!

Message 2 of 5
getridofccdebt
New Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Sorry you got the shaft from your partner in business. That sucks. Yes you can go for OpenSky.  1 store card that you'll use could work. Since your car isnt reporting an installment. Theres always self lender for the loan part of the FICO mix. Wait it out 6-8 months and start the pre-qual hunt again for Disco, Cap1, and Merrick again. Stay away from Credit None, First Premiere, and those famous fee ridden cards. Its going to take a slow progressive hunt one by one and spread out over time. Once things get better. It'll be easier then. Again sorry about the snafu you had. No where to go from here but up the ladder! Good Luck!

Thanks! One quick question, checking the prequals doesn't hurt my score right? I know cap 1 and discover wont take me back yet but if I try Merrick once  amonth or so does that hurt?

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Prequals are SP's. No worries

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One was discharged in my bankruptcy. After discharge I was on the hunt to find some sort of credit to start rebuilding, and Capital One approved a secured card with albeit a very small limit ($200) but only required a $50 deposit.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.