Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid more than $600?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid more than $600?

I am finally having my MOC this upcoming Monday and I'm ready to get it over with. One thing I don't understand and don't feel that my attorney has adequately answered is the question about paying any one creditor more than $600 in the past 90 days. Well, yeah, I was late on my car payment and scraped together $700 to keep it from being repossessed when my attorney was pussyfooting around with my filing and I had to get kids to school and myself to work, my rent is $1000, my daycare was $600 a month...I'm not sure how to truthfully answer this question because I don't exactly understand the question, but maybe I'm overthinking it. Not to mention that over a period of 60 (or 90, whatever) days, I'm sure I paid my utility companies at least $600, cable, car insurance, etc. I'm having a hard time with this, if anyone can please help me understand.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Paid more than $600?

Utilities are neccesities to survive. The car payments so you can have transport for your job and getting the kids to school and such. Should be no problem. Are you keeping the car or turning it in?

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

While utilities, insurance and cable are expenses, they are not "creditors." A creditor is a company you carry debt with, like your credit cards, car loans, personal loans and mortgage. For your expenses, you are paying monthly for a service and wouldn't have to disclose that. The car payment, however, would be disclosed. There's no problem with that, however, because it's secured by the car. It isn't preferential treatment. Even if you paid credit cards though, it isn't necessarily a "problem." It just needs to be disclosed so they can consider it and make sure you weren't paying one creditor a bunch of money, while another creditor is going to get the shaft.
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm surrendering the car. I don't know why this question has thrown me for a loop.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I was reviewing my bk paperwork and my attorney has given a list of sample questions to be prepared for. The question is worded as "have you paid any unsecured creditor more than $600" so I can understand that but I wasn't sure if my landlord would count as unsecured. I would hate for them to make him give back my rent but I think I get it now. Thank you both for your replies.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, rent also doesn't count. His money is safe. An unsecured creditor would be credit cards, medical bills...only "debt." You may have a rental lease for 6 months or a year, but there isn't a "debt." You just pay for a month to live there. The exception to that is if you were really behind, owed him a bunch of money and listed him as a creditor. But the regular, monthly amount you pay, is safe
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you're welcome Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really appreciate it!  I feel a little easier and less anxious about my MOC, now.  

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good, glad to hear. The MOC is actually pretty painless. 5 or 10 minutes and you're done. Most people don't have anything to worry about. Feel free to ask any more questions. We're happy to help.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question, and sorry to piggy back in this one..
Is that $600 total for 90 days.. if I paid 250 one month, and 250 for the 2nd 3rd, would that be considered more then the $600.. or is that just in one month during the 90 days I paid thev$600
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.