Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Past Due Amounts, Late Payments, & Change of Account Status in a Bankruptcy

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Past Due Amounts, Late Payments, & Change of Account Status in a Bankruptcy

I wanted to share this post with everyone in regards to a past due amount in a bankruptcy that will trigger a 90 day late even if you have not been late. I learned this from a manager that oversees the Myfico customer service team. So this is what you need to pay special attention to.

If on the day when you file bankruptcy and you are current with no late payments or passed due amounts, then your creditor report has to reflect that. In other words your accounts included in the chapter of bankruptcy can not state any past due or late payments. So if the credit bureau shows no late payments but shows past due amounts, then you need to dispute the amount. It will cause your FICO score to stay lower than it needs to. And anything that shows late after the filing of a bankruptcy has a negative impact on your credit rating.

The other thing that you need to watch carefully for is the change in status of a trade line that is included in a chapter 7, 11, or 13. This is especially when a creditor changes the open date of the account to reflect after the public record has been filed. I went through that issue. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau & Attorney General's office, to which I sent the creditor a copy. I also stated in a letter that they are violating the Fair Credit Report Act as well as the bankruptcy laws. So they had either the choice the update the account or remove it. They deleted it permanently from my profile.

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.