cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying back Discover after CH7?

tag
theshepherd

Paying back Discover after CH7?

So I burned Discover in my Chapter 7 a couple of years ago and from what I have read in these posts, it is very hard to get back with Discover after this...I tried for a secured card with them shortly after BK and was, of course, rejected. I am in a position now where I can pay back some of my debts, and this one was one of the smaller ones. Can anyone testify as to whether there would be any value for me to pay them off? Would it make it any easier for me to move forward with them in the future? Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jl4
Established Contributor

Re: Paying back Discover after CH7?

Is there a particular reason you want to get back into bed with Discover? There are a load of other banks out there.

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 2 of 4
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I would never consider paying back a debt from a BK. I would just move on, and rebuild with a different lender, and try them later on. I bet you could get the secured card now since its been awhile. I would also go to their prequel page and see if it offers you anything. If it says congrats, we found you the following, and they have a set APR offered, not a range, then go for it.

If no offers, then apply for secured again.
Message 3 of 4
kiea
Frequent Contributor

I also burned Discover in BK and they won't let me back in.  I have been trying the pre-qualifier every 3 months or so but I keep getting denied due to past relationship.  I don't think it will matter to them if you pay the old balance or not.  When I filed I had a secure card with a $200.00 CL.  The balance was paid in full when I filed so they ended up sending me a check for $200.00 but they still won't let me back in.

From reading the posts on the forum I've noticed most people have been able to get back in with them after 2 or 2 1/2 years post discharge.

Start of rebuild July 2021

January 2022
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.