Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying cell phone during chapter 7?

tag
CreditGuy03
Established Contributor

Paying cell phone during chapter 7?

We are current on our bill however it would be good to get a 2 month relief since we are on verizon on a family plan of 5. 

I couldn't find any information on the web about this particular scenario. Can I stop paying the cell phone bill while in Chapter 7? Will Verizon cut off the service?

Equifax - 628, Experian -627, Transunion- 654 In the garden until 01/01/2019
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

Re: Paying cell phone during chapter 7?

I've been in Chapter 7 since May and have continued to pay my cellphone bill.  I'm quite certain Verizon will discontinue your service without the monthly bill having been paid.

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

You dont want to mess with Verizon. You'll get cut off. They're no different than a utility bill. You got to pay monthly just like electricity, water, ect. BK is for debts owed being DC'ed. Your cell phone bill was part of the monthly expenses figured into your BK. Sorry.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay it to keep service. As a side note, if you have any device payment plans, Verizon tends to wave them and convert to contract only for the remainder of what the payment plan months would be. So your bill should go down.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.