cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Injury suit filed 2 months before bankruptcy help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personal Injury suit filed 2 months before bankruptcy help!

I have been researching the internet and am getting mixed reviews; we filed a personal injury lawsuit 2 months ago and are contemplating filing Chapt. 7. Does anyone know what the exemptions will be in TN for JOINT filers; i read that it was 7500, not to include pain & suffering-is the 7500 doubled for joint filers making it 15000? My husband is also listed in the lawsuit for loss of wages & loss of consortium. In regard to the pain and suffering not included; what does this mean? If I get a 50,000 settlement total; how much would we be entitled to keep as joint filers? The medical bills & amounts are listed in the lawsuit.

If we settled the personal injury lawsuit and waited on filing Chapter 7,  how long should we wait to file in order to be able to keep the proceeds, if able to do so.

I also read somewhere that you could use some of the homestead exemption toward it; any comments on this, we have no equity in home and won't be using this exemption.

Other helpful advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
granny031350
Established Contributor

Re: Personal Injury suit filed 2 months before bankruptcy help!

the personal injury lawsuit would tie up your BK in the courts for years.  And you wouldn't get a penny of it.  I would wait to file for BK for at least 1 to 2 years after receiving any payout.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.