Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Enlighten Me....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Please Enlighten Me....

So from my perspective, having never filed BK... i'm curious about a few things..   

I started rebuilding on 4/17 and from clawing and scratching my way back up just barely got to 630 across the board... and then i see a post about someone 12 mos. out of BK with a 740 score and getting approval for cards with a high SL i couldnt get. 

Life isnt fair, i get that.   But help me understand how that is even possible and why its viewed as the cowards way out, and yet from what i have seen it surely looks like the ultimate way to cheat the system and have it all. 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Please Enlighten Me....

From your cards signature, seem you in a good place OP,  you have Navy up to $15k limit.

Also, your score within 8 months went up over 100 points across from all 3 CRA. That's FANTASTIC!

Starting Score: TU 504 EQ 525 EX 535 (4-4-17)
Current Score: TU 630 EQ 646 EX 639 & EQ9 705

I think you are in good direction tho. Every profile so diffrerent, we dont know if you have any lates, CO, collection or any degrog on your profile , we dont know your util on 1 card and all cards together, etc, etc, etc and much more.

Just be patient!

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

From your cards signature, seem you in a good place OP,  you have Navy up to $15k limit.

Also, your score within 8 months went up over 100 points across from all 3 CRA. That's FANTASTIC!

Starting Score: TU 504 EQ 525 EX 535 (4-4-17)
Current Score: TU 630 EQ 646 EX 639 & EQ9 705

I think you are in good direction tho. Every profile so diffrerent, we dont know if you have any lates, CO, collection or any degrog on your profile , we dont know your util on 1 card and all cards together, etc, etc, etc and much more.

Just be patient!

Thank you and i understand all of the profile differences, but when i saw that 12mo. out of BK with a 740...  which is about the same amount of time i have been working on mine and i'm nowhere near that...  they file BK and have a clean-ish record after DC and get whatever..    i dont know if i'm explaining myself well enough..  hopefully any of that makes sense. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

So from my perspective, having never filed BK... i'm curious about a few things..   

I started rebuilding on 4/17 and from clawing and scratching my way back up just barely got to 630 across the board... and then i see a post about someone 12 mos. out of BK with a 740 score and getting approval for cards with a high SL i couldnt get. 

Life isnt fair, i get that.   But help me understand how that is even possible and why its viewed as the cowards way out, and yet from what i have seen it surely looks like the ultimate way to cheat the system and have it all. 

You state that you didn;t fike BK but clawing and scratching your way back. From What? Chargeoffs?

Who has a 740 score 12 months out of BK?

Message 4 of 12
thornback
Senior Contributor

I feel as though you may not understand what happens after filing for bankruptcy. Talk about having to claw your way back...

https://twocents.lifehacker.com/what-really-happens-when-you-file-for-bankruptcy-1781919974

That quick read may offer a new perspective seeing as your fight to overcome collections and / or charge offs hasn't resulted in the liquidation of all of your assets, and time alone can, in most cases, relieve you of your obligation to actually pay what you owe.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right, bankruptcy can seem unfair.
We bounced back fairly easily as we had higher income and zero lates at the time of filing. I suspect it is harder to climb back if the income is low to begin with. You remain a high credit risk. Just my personal observation.

Also this article says credit offers come after the involved accounts fall off, they came right away as did the car loans as they know you cant file again for 10 years. New home came at 3.5 years post BK. Scores never went below 640. Intest on the first (mid bk filing) auto loan was 10.5% so a bit high but the big fat lemon car that was unusable was the primary reason for filing (suzuki no longer manufactuers cars). 5 years out 0% on new car and 5% on second car (purchased in 2013).
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that those that bounce back seem to have experienced a sudden and significant loss of income or increase in liability and that the bankruptcy is a blip in their overall credit profile instead of a pattern of poor financial management. I paid my bills 14 years no lates right until I filed.
I think it’s a misconception that bankruptcy is a clean slate. All that payment history before you filed is still there. student loans are not dischargable and if there are zero late payments those accounts will continue to report open and in good standing i expect all that to factor in the score.
Bankruptcy is not a clean slate it’s a legal remedy to a hopefully temporary insolvency that can happen to people of all incomes and walks of life.
Your overall income and credit profile pre and post filing will determine how fast you bounce back.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

It's not cheating the system.  It's perfectly legal.  

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are many things someone with scores in the 600s and no BK can do that someone with a 700 and a BK cannot.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's why i started this thread..   to gain understanding.    not saying the 12 months and then 740 wasnt rage inducing, but there is always another side to the story.   

I still have alot of work to do on mine, and some stuff i'll have to wait until it times out.   

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.