Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help: A few questions before deciding on Ch.7

tag
felyasocal
New Contributor

Please help: A few questions before deciding on Ch.7

Thank you in advance to anyone who will take the time to read and reply. Please, keep any negative comments and criticisms to yourself. I am going through a horrible time in my life and I would really appreciate some real advice. Don’t hold back on the truth though. I am pretty depressed about all of this, so your patience is greatly appreciated. I went from having perfect credit and low balances to owning over $60K in just a few years. I am planning on filing by October or around there. 

-    I got divorced last year (around December) and it was a "positive" divorce where we just decided to split the balances that we owed on credit cards about 80/20. Most of it was my debt so whatever debt we had on her cards that was mine, was transferred to my cards. This was around the same time of the divorce. I have not used any of my credit cards since the beginning of the year. The only time I had to use one of my credit cards was in April of 2019 to pay for taxes. I ended up owning $4K for 2018 State and Federal taxes, and I did not have cash on hand to pay in full. So, I used my credit card. That was the last and only time I used my credit card in 2019. 

-     I don't own any property, business, or any other substantial investments. Some savings, but I don't keep it in my bank account. I have a school loan that's about $10K, but as far as I know I can't write off school loans in Ch. 7. No other debt from utilities, store cards, gas cards, or anything else. Just credit cards. I am paying the cards each month and have only been late about 3 times totals. Back in October my FICO was around 800 for all the major credit bureaus.

-    I make around $90K per year. But after credit card bills, taxes, 401K, rent, car lease, food, etc., I have almost no savings left. With the change of my marital status and W9 claim, I get even less money now per month. Just to add insult to injury = (

My questions:

1. If I didn't use my credit cards this year, besides using it once to pay my tax bill in April, is it safe to file in October of this year? 
  2. What are the chances I will get approved for a Ch. 7? I mean, I can pay the credit card minimum balances each month, but mostly minimum or just above the minimum payment, and even with that, I have no money left over for living. I can't travel, buy myself anything, can't go out, can't buy healthy food, god forbid there are any emergencies. I have no family or anyone else who can help (I am a 41 y/o male). This is the part I understand the least. If I continue paying minimum or just above minimum balances until it's all paid off, I'll have to live like this for the next 10 years. I am not sure I can. It's emotionally devastating and I will not be able to remarry or have a family. This is honestly the only reason I am doing this. If I was 31 instead of 41, I would probably just try to pay it off over a 5-year period. I will be making more money over the next few years, but I am not going to get a 2nd or 3rd job because I have a dog to take care of and also, I help my grandma. 
  3. Will previous balance transfers affect the process or approval? It's been a while and will almost be a year since the last transfer when I do file.
  4. And this is just hypothetical and probably not the smartest thing to do, but I just want to ask anyway. I am still paying for a balance that is mine, but is on my ex-wife’s credit card, that's around $10K. If I transfer that balance to my credit card, do I have to wait 90+ days or is that going to be looked down up on by the court? I am just trying to eliminate as much debt as possible without doing anything illegal or fraudulent. I am a good person who made some stupid mistakes. I am willing to take the responsibility for everything, but I don't think I should be punished for the rest of my life. Same question for my school loan. Can I transfer it over to a credit card and then wait some time before filing for Ch. 7? Of course, if that's a big no no, then I will be paying for it even after the bankruptcy. 
  5. Where do I find a “good” lawyer, or should I go through some agency? How much does the whole filing process (all fees, lawyers, etc.) cost? Even if it’s a ballpark number.
  6. And this question, I am not sure what the best process is, but if I do decide to file in October, should I stop making credit card payments each month and if so then when should I stop? Also, if I do stop, and then I am not approved for Ch. 7, what happens then?

Am I missing anything that I should be asking? My mind is overwhelmed and perhaps I am not asking all the right questions

I am sorry for the long write up, but I would be very grateful and thankful for your advice and answers.

THANK YOU EVERYONE

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Please help: A few questions before deciding on Ch.7

Sorry about the hardball life threw you. Google Board Certified Lawyers in your area. Check online what your state has for income requirements to pass the means test. If you have no assests. You could file any day now. Nothing to be ashamed of. Life Happens. Get your fresh start. Get a couple of free consultations from BK Lawyers. I'd still pay the minimums up to file date. Otherwise. Many come out better after BK than trying to pay off the debts that would take the same amount of time not filling BK. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 5
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Yes I wpuld agree with above poster. Schedule a few free consultations with BK lawyers, they will be able to give you a better idea where you stand and if you would qualify for 7 or 13.

I highly suggest you don't do any big tranfers, especially with a student loan.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 5
LakeLife
Established Contributor

I think with a 90k salary you'll have a very tough time passing the means test in order to file Chapter 7.  Definitely consult with an attorney as soon as possible.

Message 4 of 5
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

My questions:

1. If I didn't use my credit cards this year, besides using it once to pay my tax bill in April, is it safe to file in October of this year?  You can file within 90 days of last use without any issues assumming you dont max your cards out on jewelery or something like that.
  2. What are the chances I will get approved for a Ch. 7? I mean, I can pay the credit card minimum balances each month, but mostly minimum or just above the minimum payment, and even with that, I have no money left over for living. I can't travel, buy myself anything, can't go out, can't buy healthy food, god forbid there are any emergencies. I have no family or anyone else who can help (I am a 41 y/o male). This is the part I understand the least. If I continue paying minimum or just above minimum balances until it's all paid off, I'll have to live like this for the next 10 years. I am not sure I can. It's emotionally devastating and I will not be able to remarry or have a family. This is honestly the only reason I am doing this. If I was 31 instead of 41, I would probably just try to pay it off over a 5-year period. I will be making more money over the next few years, but I am not going to get a 2nd or 3rd job because I have a dog to take care of and also, I help my grandma.  Based on your income and ability to pay bills, I doubt very much that you will be approved.  Chapter 7 is for people who can not pay their bills and will not be able to for a while.  It is not for people who can't save a bunch of money.   Realistically, your normal bills should be like $1000 more per month than you make to qualify for Chapter 7 with that income.  Ch 7 is based on like 50% above poverty.  You are probably looking at 3-5 year Chapter 13 payment plan.  The advantage of Ch 13 is you get to keep all your property and it is on your credit report for 7 years not 10 like a Chapter 7.
  3. Will previous balance transfers affect the process or approval? It's been a while and will almost be a year since the last transfer when I do file.  No.  All debts are required to be included even loans from friends and family.  Everything not secured by properly (excluding student loans and child support etc.) is discharged in a successful Ch 7.
  4. And this is just hypothetical and probably not the smartest thing to do, but I just want to ask anyway. I am still paying for a balance that is mine, but is on my ex-wife’s credit card, that's around $10K. If I transfer that balance to my credit card, do I have to wait 90+ days or is that going to be looked down up on by the court? I am just trying to eliminate as much debt as possible without doing anything illegal or fraudulent. I am a good person who made some stupid mistakes. I am willing to take the responsibility for everything, but I don't think I should be punished for the rest of my life. Same question for my school loan. Can I transfer it over to a credit card and then wait some time before filing for Ch. 7? Of course, if that's a big no no, then I will be paying for it even after the bankruptcy.  If you took responsibility then it should be ok.  Better have the documents to back it up.  I would wait at least 90 days.  Chapter 13 would be more accepting.
  5. Where do I find a “good” lawyer, or should I go through some agency? How much does the whole filing process (all fees, lawyers, etc.) cost? Even if it’s a ballpark number.  $1000 - $5000.  Google reviews, Avvo, etc.  Take 3-5 free consultations before making a decision.  Take a list of questions with you.  A lot of crappy lawyers out there doing little more than using BK software and filling in the blanks.
  6. And this question, I am not sure what the best process is, but if I do decide to file in October, should I stop making credit card payments each month and if so then when should I stop? Also, if I do stop, and then I am not approved for Ch. 7, what happens then?  I would stop at least 90 days before filing.  Save CASH.  You will need it for lawyer, etc.

Chances are you will not qualify for Chapter 7.  I would transfer your debts to your credit cards and stop paying EVERYTHING that is not secured.  Save CASH.  Wait.  

After being behind on your cards 90 days you will start receiving settlement offers.  These offers will allow you to pay 20-60% of your balances.  The older the debt, the more the discount.  Negotiation is required.

If you can pay your bills, settling one card at a time might be a lot better decision.  Get a Cap One card or other similar card first and keep the card for emergencies and pay it properly.  Negotiate all other cards to settle.  Cap One is one card that probably wont close on you while you have other issues with other cards.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.