Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Bankruptcy affect on score over time

tag
raisemysc0re
Established Contributor

Post Bankruptcy affect on score over time

I filed Chapter 13 Nov/2013 and my discharge was in June/2016.

Since then my rebuild has gone well but I seemed to have hit a wall.

I think it is partly due to opening 7 CCs and 2 Auto loans since discharge which is affecting my AAoA. 

Currently showing 2 hard inquiries on each CRA's report.

My scores have not really changed over the last 8 months. All of the new accounts are over 1 year old except for 2 CCs.

I have always posted >5% uti and only let 1 CC post a balance. The auto loans are at 8% and 80% uti.

I know the affect of BK on my score diminishes over time but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is month-month or by period (quarterly/annually, etc...)?

| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
Starting Scores (06/2016):

Current Fico8 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Current Fico9 Scores (Updated 10/24/23):

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Post Bankruptcy affect on score over time

It’s more with BK and without BK 😀

I haven’t seen any noticeable difference by year, but I’ve read about nice jumps when they are removed. 

Maybe someone else can add data points. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

My interpretation of it is that your scores will eventually plateau right around 700 until the BK falls off.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

You won't see any significant increase in your score solely because your BK is aging. But if you clean up your report and get all your derogs removed, you could see a 90pt increase the day that the BK drops off. That's about how much my EQ jumped when they removed my BK13 and my report was otherwise spotless by then.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.