cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Chapt. 7 & I burned some major players!

tag
TheFeagster
Valued Member

Post Chapt. 7 & I burned some major players!

Hello, me again I am FINALLY 2 months post bankruptcy after a very long ride, with a terrible lawyer! I want to start building my credit back up, so I wanted to get some advice on whom I can build with. My dear husband still has pristine, perfect credit with significantly high limits and is willing to make me a AU to get me started back on my road, BUT I burned some major players, so I wanted to know who/how long does it have to be before I can be a AU with them.

Included in the bk were:

AMEX

CITI

CAP ONE 

NAVY FED

PEN FED

TD BANK/TARGET 

COMENITY 

DISCOVER 

BARCLAYS 

DH currently has: 

CITI

AMEX
NAVY FED 

DISCOVER 

CAP ONE

Thanks In Advance Smiley Happy

NFCU Visa Signature 15k
NFCU LOC 8k
Discover IT $500
CAP ONE 1.5k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Delta Gold 4k
Amex Hilton 1k
Barclays Apple Rewards $700
PenFed LOC $500

EX: 689 TU:674 EQ: 667
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: Post Chapt. 7 & I burned some major players!

Cap One will let you back in soon.

Amex and Discover will eventually.

Check with Merrick Bank also (they are a fair bank for credit challenged)

It will get better.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 2 of 8
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

@TheFeagster- The talk all around these boards specific to Amex/NFCU.

• Amex:  If you burned them in BK and owed them money, you will have to repay them.  They'll put you on a credit health restoration path via Optima or something else.  If not paid, then it's a long credit prison sentence, like 10yrs or more.
  • NFCU: Also read the same, you will have to pay them back if you want back into their graces.
  • CITI:  Long memory, credit will mostly require BK off your reports and their internal system to clear the BK residue. 10yrs also.
  • CAP ONE:  Will let you back in the day after discharge.
  • PEN FED: Not sure
  • TD BANK/TARGET: Not sure
  • COMENITY: Will let you back after within the first 6mos after BK discharge. 
  • DISCOVER: Not sure, some say they can only get secured CC until graduation. 
  • BARCLAYS:  Forget about this one, life sentence. 

Maybe others more experienced in this particular scenario can add more color. 

Message 3 of 8
TheFeagster
Valued Member

Thank you for that insight!! I appreciate it. Those rules apply for being a authorized user as well correct? 

NFCU Visa Signature 15k
NFCU LOC 8k
Discover IT $500
CAP ONE 1.5k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Delta Gold 4k
Amex Hilton 1k
Barclays Apple Rewards $700
PenFed LOC $500

EX: 689 TU:674 EQ: 667
Message 4 of 8
FLLGuy
Frequent Contributor

Good question, if memory serves me correctly the answer is "No".  Authorized users are not deemed "obligated" per contractural credit agreement. 

Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Its best to build on your own for now. Cap1 will be the most forgiving. Yes you may end up with a bucket card. So what. Its a revovling credit line to build credit. Theres Merrick Bank who will double your CL with on time payments. Whoever you all bank with. TD Bank? Go to the branch and see if they'll do a secured card. One that graduates. Once you hit the 3 card bonus. Then a card or 2 as AU will be ok. Many lenders ignore AU accounts on apps and some wont let you in due to the BK as an AU. Just like surgery. The operation is done. Little physical therapy. Then fully heal. Just takes time.

Message 6 of 8
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@TheFeagster wrote:

Hello, me again I am FINALLY 2 months post bankruptcy after a very long ride, with a terrible lawyer! I want to start building my credit back up, so I wanted to get some advice on whom I can build with. My dear husband still has pristine, perfect credit with significantly high limits and is willing to make me a AU to get me started back on my road, BUT I burned some major players, so I wanted to know who/how long does it have to be before I can be a AU with them.

Included in the bk were:

AMEX

CITI

CAP ONE 

NAVY FED

PEN FED

TD BANK/TARGET 

COMENITY 

DISCOVER 

BARCLAYS 

DH currently has: 

CITI

AMEX
NAVY FED 

DISCOVER 

CAP ONE

Thanks In Advance Smiley Happy

I burned a few of the same banks in dec 2019 bk7 dc.

Capital one let me back in after one year with a 300 sl platinum, at 5 months i upgraded to QS and a few days later they gave me a cli to 1800, then 6 months later to 2k. at about 1 1/2 years post dc they preapproved me for savor one 3k sl, now 3100.

cap 1 kohls i got 9 months post bk7 dc 300 sl, now 2500..

I burned cap 1 for 5k in my bk7.

I burned td bank for 8k in my bk7 but 9 months post dc they gave me the target red card 300 sl, now 1000.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 8
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

TheFeagster,

Your profile is very similar to mine.  You actually aren't in a bad place.

Amex will not approve you for anything in the short term until after you repay them. There are people that got back in at the 7 year and 10 year marks, so it's a mixed review. There are many reports of people not being able to be added as AU for burning Amex. I would not even bother with them. The same goes for Navy Federal and Penfed.

CapitalOne will let you back in. Some got approved the day after their bankruptcy was discharged.  I got back in at 13th month mark.  I would check the preapproval site once a month until you get a preapproval, then I'd apply. 

You can get approved for a Target RedCard in time. I was approved for the store card at the 13th month mark. After a few years, it was upgraded to the Mastercard. As for the TD Bank Visa, I don't know when they will let back in, but they will in time.

You will be able to back into Citi in time. I was approved for the Best Buy store card at year 2 as well the Macy's Amex.  A few years later, I was approved for the Costco Visa. If you can be added as a AU, do it.

Comenity will let you back in. It may take a while. I got approved for the Buckle card a year or so after my bankruptcy was discharged.  I was approved for Sportsman Guide Visa using the SP shopping cart tactic, and I got the Toyota Visa with an instant approval.  There is an entire thread on cards that can be approved without HP's. Comenity has been very good to me after letting me back in.

Discover will let you back in given time.  I would simply keep checking the preapproval site until they give you an offer.

With regards to Barclays, they let me back in, but my cards are bucketed. I haven't had a CLI in years. I never worried much about it because they serve a purpose and are PIF monthly. Some people reported they still can't get back in with them. 

Since you are already use to credit unions, take a strong look at State Department Credit Union.  They are a very conservative CU, but they are bankruptcy friendly. I was initially declined for an unsecured Visa, but it was approved after a recon.  Since then I regularly get preapprovals for loans and Visas.  I just got CashPlus card with a $15k trade line.  Another reason I like them is they have always given me the lowest rates available with no issues.  They remind me of government agencies.  You follow their rules, you get exactly what you want.

Also take a look at PNC after the 2 year mark. You may want to research your local banks and CU's.

Best of luck in your rebuild. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.