cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Chapter 7 Discharge Rebuild Recommendations?

tag
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

Post Chapter 7 Discharge Rebuild Recommendations?

Hey All!

I'm an old member who managed to clean up my credit about 7 years ago only to fall on some hard times requiring me to go nuclear on my debt via filing for Chapter 7 back in August. I received my discharge on 11/22, but also had a few lates on four accounts around the time of filing. I still have quite a few student loans reporting, and I'm trying to rebuild my credit card portfolio. So far, I've managed to get a Mission Lane card with a $1000 CL $0 AF which isn't reporting yet. I'm looking for recommendations on one or two other cards to apply for, preferably with no/low AFs.

I burned:

Citibank - $11.4k/$11k + CO $11.9k  6/16

Discover - $8.8k

Cap One - $1450/$550 + CO $7300 6/16

Chase - $1200 + CO $4500 6/16

Synchrony Care Credit CO $5900 6/16

Ally Bank Auto Loan $7k

Thanks for any and all help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Post Chapter 7 Discharge Rebuild Recommendations?

@FantumGrey wrote:

Hey All!

I'm an old member who managed to clean up my credit about 7 years ago only to fall on some hard times requiring me to go nuclear on my debt via filing for Chapter 7 back in August. I received my discharge on 11/22, but also had a few lates on four accounts around the time of filing. I still have quite a few student loans reporting, and I'm trying to rebuild my credit card portfolio. So far, I've managed to get a Mission Lane card with a $1000 CL $0 AF which isn't reporting yet. I'm looking for recommendations on one or two other cards to apply for, preferably with no/low AFs.

I burned:

Citibank - $11.4k/$11k + CO $11.9k  6/16

Discover - $8.8k YMMV. Some a year out, some a couple years out. Nothing set in stone.

Cap One - $1450/$550 + CO $7300 6/16 They are the most forgiving bank. Usually 8-12 months out you can start check the prequal.

Chase - $1200 + CO $4500 6/16

Synchrony Care Credit CO $5900 6/16 Sync also. Maybe a year out or more.

Ally Bank Auto Loan $7k

Thanks for any and all help!

Open Sky is no HP. Reports to all 3 CRA's. Second card will help a lot. Also Merrick Bank. Doubles your CL with responsible use. It will take some tine to get back to the better cards. But these 2 companies have no complaints on here ever that I can remember. Good Luck and keep us updated!

Message 2 of 11
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Ollo card has been good to me too post bk. One of my first offers/approvals along with Merrick. No annual fee.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 3 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
Ollo card has been good to me too post bk. One of my first offers/approvals along with Merrick. No annual fee.

Got to get an invitation first.

Message 4 of 11
twono
Frequent Contributor

I followed an ollo preapproval link thru credit karma and it worked...$1100

Didnt get a mailer for an ollo preapproval
Message 5 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@twono wrote:
I followed an ollo preapproval link thru credit karma and it worked...$1100

Didnt get a mailer for an ollo preapproval

Congrats! I dont get that offer. Just the usuals that us BK'ers could only dream about. LOL!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 11
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

I was actually really surprised to get the offer so soon after bk with no AF (6ish months, I got offers with AF sooner - all via mail). After having it 6 months they bumped my limit $200 without me asking, and it just pays a $30 monthly fee for tolls and otherwise lives in my SD. Zero complaints on my end.

I realize cards like Merrick and Ollo are termed subprime and other sub forums here are beyond them, but 0 AF cards are awesome coming out bk and lay a nice foundation that you don't have to cancel to avoid fees.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 7 of 11
twono
Frequent Contributor

Speaking of cli’s..... i received my credit one with a $2000 starting limit around nov 11. 1st statement cut on 21st....

After 2nd statement cut a few days ago, credit one gave me an auto cli of $200. I ran anout $1300 thru it and paid it down to $40 at statement cut.

Im using cards heavily but pif too
Message 8 of 11
FantumGrey
Regular Contributor

I also got a pre-approval link for Ollo in Credit Karma. I pulled the trigger on their non-rewards card because of the $0 AF and got approved for a $2500 CL.

I tried the pre-qualify link for Merrick Bank. It told me there weren't any offers available for me, so I held off on applying as I don't want to waste a HP for nothing.

Message 9 of 11
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Congrats on the ollo! Use it well and keep util down. More cards will follow. You only need 3 cards + 1 loan to rebuild. I found this place much later after my bankruptcy and so I'm aging off a lot of unnecessary inquiries. Slow and steady wins the race! Time is the most important factor for all of us, so as long as you use it well as it passes you by you'll be in great shape.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.