Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post DC Student Loan Issue and Co-Sign

tag
ANGEL99
Valued Member

Post DC Student Loan Issue and Co-Sign

I was DC six weeks ago. I received a letter from Wells today that says I apparenty co-signed a student loan with my ex years ago which charged off last year. It does show on my credit as a CO up until I filed. It currently shows closed and $0 balance, expected given my filing.

I never received any letters about it until now. Ex filed a CH13 back in 2016 whch was dismissed last year failure to make payment trustee payments. The student loan amount is small so I am happy to pay it. My concern is Wells is saying the account would be updated as paid CO. The problem is I do not want a CO reporting or reaging now that I am DC which I suspect would hinder my rebuild. Smiley Sad

Thoughts? Any other options here? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Post DC Student Loan Issue and Co-Sign

@ANGEL99 wrote:

I was DC six weeks ago. I received a letter from Wells today that says I apparenty co-signed a student loan with my ex years ago which charged off last year. It does show on my credit as a CO up until I filed. It currently shows closed and $0 balance, expected given my filing.

I never received any letters about it until now. Ex filed a CH13 back in 2016 whch was dismissed last year failure to make payment trustee payments. The student loan amount is small so I am happy to pay it. My concern is Wells is saying the account would be updated as paid CO. The problem is I do not want a CO reporting or reaging now that I am DC which I suspect would hinder my rebuild. Smiley Sad

Thoughts? Any other options here? 

I'm no expert but from what I've read, any history up to the FILING (not DC) is acceptable. Creditors can't add any history after the filing date. Zero. If your ex's CO happened before your filing, it is there. If it happened between the filing and the DC them I would fight it

also, you may try PFD if that's an option. Though BK7 is set up to erase your debts so you can start with a clean slate. 

Federal student loans like child support cannot be discharged from BK7 ... but private ones? Check with your Bk attorney. Might be with your time

good luck and sorry to hear about this

Message 2 of 7
ANGEL99
Valued Member

Ok. I dug deeper and the account is not on EQ. Only EX and TU. TU actually showed the date of removal for 4/2018 which I found interesting. I disputed it as too old to report and they removed it within the hour. Score! I suspect it is a prvate as there is not common servicer and the tradeline shows as just Wells Fargo EFS. 

Anything preventing Wells from re-reporting and would BK filing change that at all?

Thanks! 

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I believe since its a private co-signed loan. Your off the hook. No negative info can be placed on your reports after filing. Nada. But I'll ping @Anonymous our in house SL expert and maybe you can get a better answer than mine. Federal is a lot tougher to get out of. Good Luck!

Message 4 of 7
ANGEL99
Valued Member

Thx. I am almost certain this is private loan, but how do I know for sure? Also, if this is private and the fact Wells Fargo EFS was on my petition, which I verified, why would they even being trying to attempt to collect? This is for sure a BK violation right? 

Message 5 of 7
ANGEL99
Valued Member

Hey all checking back in.. I saw today that Wells fargo is now re-reporting it as a current CO on my reports. Ugh. Doersn't seem to be impacting my score though and again it just reports to EX. I disputed it and will see what happens. Recommended next steps if that does not work? 

Message 6 of 7
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I went thru a Ch7 in 2019...

Wells Fargo Private Student Loan

and my mom also went thru a bankrucpy...  she is a co-signor...

still on the hook myself, and my my mom is too

the wells fargo private student loan is NOT dischanged in bankrucpy.   It is still a STUDENT LOAN.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.