Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Discharge Car Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Post Discharge Car Loan

New to the forum and have a few questions about my chapter 7 discharge. I have a 2010 CRV that I'm $4k under in and even though it only has 90k miles the transmission is slipping and a/c is going out. I'm not reaffirming and plan on paying monthly until Honda takes it or I turn it over voluntarily. My question is where would be a good place to try to get a loan after discharge in a couple weeks? I burned Cap 1 for about $1,500 so I'm sure that's out of the question. If I include the Honda and voluntarily turn it over would that ruin Honda for me? Or I could try to get a loan with them and then turn it over? I also found out I could join NFCU thru my grandfather. Are they BK friendly? I'm going to try to wait as long as possible for a car but with a family of 5 it may sooner than later. My score was 489 pre filing and up to 587 now though I know it may drop after discharge. Thanks for any help!!!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bshockley1981
New Contributor

Re: Post Discharge Car Loan

I got approved through prestige financial but under the advisement of my attorney, decided to wait. Our discharge date is late July and am paying on one loan, while sending the other back. I didn't reaffirm either. Hoping once were discharged, we will get back into the single digit interest rates we used to get.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mind me asking what your rate was with them? I should get my papers in a couple weeks.
Message 3 of 7
bshockley1981
New Contributor

I called and she didn't give me a rate, only a max payment of $490 at 72 months. I imagine it's between 15-19 percent but didn't follow through.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I "was" looking for a car, but it was more of a want than a need, so I decided against it. Once I was itching for a car, I went to the dodge dealership. I was approved, but at a 20% interest rate. Yes, I would have been nice to get a brand new car with 1 mile on it and 0 down, but no thank you! Two days ago, I went onto Carvana's site and they did a soft pull on Experian. I saw several cars that I would love to have, but they required $1800 down at 12% interest rate. So if you can't get approved through your credit union, check out Carvana.

ETA: Oh and I was just discharged about 3 weeks ago.

Message 5 of 7
bshockley1981
New Contributor

I tried carvana pre filing and it was 3k down minimum, 14%. Now pre discharge, 800 down minimum, 24%. No thanks. I'm sure when we discharge next month I'll see what the new rates are.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt try pre filing, but did try pre discharge. It was $1700 down with an 8% interest rate. I wish I could have got a car then, but didn't want to jeopardize anything. Make sure your experian report is squeaky clean because thats who they pull from. I'm going to check again in a few months.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.