cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparing For Discharge - What do I do tho?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Preparing For Discharge - What do I do tho?

According to Pacer I will be discharged on April 1st 2019 (hoping for earlier but we will see) but I don't know where to start yet...

Thankfully, I will not have to "clean up" my credit reports because my attorney and paralegal told me they will make sure everything is reporting correctly once they recieve my discharge!

The biggest two things I am worried about is that:

(1) I need a car loan quickly! We have a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta with about 85,000 miles on it and we owe about $9,000 on the car. My initial plan was to dedicate extra $$$ post discharge to the loan and pay it off and drive it for a few more years. My boyfriend is fighting me because he bought the car for us under his name and he doesn't want to reaffirm it when he files in about two months because it has too many miles on it and wants us to get a brand new car since I add so many miles to our cars (I drive anywhere from Homestead, FL - West Palm Beach, FL everyday for work). I have begged and pleaded to just keep the car but I don't think I am winning this argument.

(2) I am worried my credit will not go up. I have a ton of inquires from before filing for Chapter 7 (Transunion: 44 & Equifax 70) which is mostly from shopping for cars before my boyfriend bought the Jetta about 8 months ago. 

So now I am stuck in a place where I don't know if I can follow the "700 Credit Score in 24 Months" because of the inquiries and having to car shop (add more inquires) not too long after discharge. 

Has anyone ever had this many inquires when they came out of discharge???

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Preparing For Discharge - What do I do tho?

I will say thats a ton of inq's. It may hamper a newer car. I am a firm believer of reafirmation. I know many will say dont do it. I did it and I feel it helped my rebuild after DC. Cap1 didnt report during the BK. But did report after the DC. I had 13 payments left and it was paid in full. You drive that far for work? Holy smokes. I moved out of Palm Beach County 9 yrs ago. Had enough of the traffic and too many people. Love it up here in central florida. 85k miles isnt a lot of miles for the all the highway driving you do. Less wear and tear than stopping and starting.

It's best to wait up to 60 days after DC to make sure all is correct. I would check myself no matter what the lawyer says that everything say IIB and 0 balance. But those inq's stop at 35 counting against you from DP's on the forum. If most were used for car shopping in I think a 30 day period it only counts as 1 on your score, But. UW's see them and some dont care. I would keep the car and let those inq's fall off. They stop dinging FICO after 1 yr and will fall off your CR's in 2 yrs. Yeah everyone wants a new car. Its rebuild time. The higher your score the less interest paid down the road. (pun intended).

If I have a car next to me at a trafic light. It doesnt bother me what it is or whos driving it. Unless its a hooptee held by duct tape. Let time be on your side. I vote to get those inq's down. And keep the car. It will help build more credit than turning it in like I give up because i want a new car. Good Luck.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.