cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime/Blacklist Approval Experiment, who's with me?

tag
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Prime/Blacklist Approval Experiment, who's with me?

Ok, I think we've all got a pretty good handle on who will/won't approve with a BK showing... so let's have some fun!

I'm a firm believer that a strong negotiator can get anything done when it comes to banking, even things that seem impossible.  That said, I think we should become our own horses and figure out how to recon denials from Chase, Citi and AMEX.  There HAS to be a way back in with our BK's still reporting, I'm convinced.

Once I'm done buying this damn house, or get a final denial, I'll be a guinea pig on Amex and Chase.  I have a feeling that Citi is pointless for me, as they were about $30K of my BK.  I discharged about $1800 on Chase, but I have no problem paying that back, if necessary.

One other note: Back in the '90s I had an Amex that was PIF and closed after being about 20 days late, so I may have an "in" with them.

Here's the list of the Primes and what we know about them post BK:

• Chase
    • Asks if there's a BK reporting right on their app
    • Instant decline if BK reporting
    • "Appreciates" "relationships"
    • Rumors that if you've PIF Chase accounts that are BK'd AND have a Checking/Savings relationship, Personal Bankers can get you through Recon.
  • CITI
    • Instant Decline if BK reporting
  • AMEX (Centurion Bank, not the fake ones)
    • Instant Decline if BK less than 7yrs 6mo 1day old
    • Possible decline if BK reporting at all
    • They have a rebuilder program for people that have c/o'd them in the past (Oasis)

So that's what we know (I'll update if there's more info).

We also know that it's possible to turn-around a Chase/Citi denial on recon. It happens quite often in the CC forum, though I haven't seen one with a BK reporting that was successful   Transversely, know that it's nearly impossible to overturn an Amex denial on recon, though it does happen every now-and-then.

In addition, we know that Citi/Chase and Amex all have non-credit banking options that may or may not help "rebuild the relationship".  In Chase's case, it's rumored that it does, Amex, allegedly no.  Does anyone know about Citibank?

Finally, we also know that there are cards that are easier to get approved for at each bank.  For example, it's easier to get a Chase Freedom than a CSP; Citi TYP is easier than Diamond Preferred; Amex SPG is allegedly easier than BCP, and Amex Charge Cards are allegedly easier than Amex Revolvers.

So here's the challenge:  Let's figure out what it takes to get at least one card (co-branded or otherwise) from each of these banks w/ a BK still reporting.  For those of us who've followed my guide, I'd suggest we try this at year 3 post filing.  Assuming of course, you don't have too many other INQ's (you shouldn't) and aren't buying a house/car in the next year.  That way if there is an INQ or two it really won't matter.

Thoughts?

Who's with me?

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 1 of 278
277 REPLIES 277
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Re: Prime/Blacklist Approval Experiment, who's with me?

I found this in whogavemecredit:

Chase FreedomTX69470969834000Yes06/17/13Credit CardYes50022

Credit history of 6.5 months with a Capital One secured credit card. Applied online and was denied. Called the reconsideration line a few days later and was approved.

It may be total BS or a fluke, but it's there.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Message 2 of 278
grassfeeder
Frequent Contributor

eeeeehhhhh, I think I'm going to have to sit on the sidelines for this one.  I'll be stoked enough with a Discover Card if I'm lucky enough come time.

Fico 8 Scores 5/1/22 :
799 EQ | 793 TU | 809 EX
Message 3 of 278
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

You're only a year out anyway grassfeeder.  If I were you, I'd sit on the sidelines and cheer for the underdogs!  Either way, you'll reap the benefits of our experiences.

-SM

Note:  I'm using "our" here very liberally, so far it's just me and the crickets.

Message 4 of 278
shols44
Frequent Contributor

SM, I'm willing to guinea pig at 3 years out! But hot damn, this will be tough. I do believe ANY bank can be turned with enough incentive. I just don't think I'm packing that much heat at the moment. Cat Tongue

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 5 of 278
ChistineNJ
Frequent Contributor

Concerning Chase I have read somewhere on the www to apply on a tuesday around noon (lol im only reporting what i have read) never app online call the backdoor number for an analyst.
C1 Venture 15K| NFCU NAV CHECK 15K| CASH REWARDS 5K| CARE CREDIT 3K| NORDSTROMS 1K| LORD & TAYLOR 1100| WALMART 600| TargetRed 500|Rebuilders

CAP1 1650| CAP 1 1100| BARCLAYS 2500| NREWARDS 8500|
SCT: VS 1100| EXPRESS 1100| JCREW 250| *HIDDEN TL BML 650

SCORES 709, 657, 623
Pre BK scores: 569, 587, 553
Message 6 of 278
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

@ChistineNJ wrote:
Concerning Chase I have read somewhere on the www to apply on a tuesday around noon (lol im only reporting what i have read) never app online call the backdoor number for an analyst.

HAAHAHHA! I wrote that!  It's in my BK recovery guide (though not specific to Chase)!  You get the best chance to get a good recon analyst on Tues/Weds.  And, because I wrote it, I completely agree!

Shols, when was your discharge?

I'm 3yrs from filing on August 29th-ish.  But I've got to get this mortgage thingy squared away... I'm either going to get declined flat-out (there's a title transfer (short sale) on the house I surrendered in Nov 2012) or I'll fight my way to an approval.  NFCU has already told me: #1 Scores don't matter, and #2 We don't follow the FHA guidelines, we judge you on your own merit after the BK/SS.  So there's a chance... just need another $5K for my downpayment and I'm applying.... come on AAPL stock!

-SM

Message 7 of 278
zora

I am 5 years out of Chapter7 and I was approved for a Citibank card. It was for a low credit limit of 500. I called immediately for a credit line increase and was not given one. I charged a 100 item on the card. Paid it before getting the statement and then closed the card because it lowered my average credit history below 8 years average. I have credit cards with limits of 17500,15000, (2)10000, 7500, and a 5000.

Starting Score: 610
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 278
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Hmmm... that's interesting, Zora.  Which Citi card was it?  Did you discharge them at all in the BK?

-SM

Message 9 of 278
zora

Yes, I believe I discharged them for approx 3300. I was approved for the citi advantage card. My fico score was Exp 697 at the time. I am waiting for the cancellation to hit my credit to see if it makes any difference since it lowered my age of account average.

Starting Score: 610
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 278
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.