Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof of Claim Filed Questions

rustyshackelford
Established Member

Proof of Claim Filed Questions

Hey Everyone-

Quick question. My case was converted from a Ch. 13 to a Ch. 7 on August 20th (I'm already seeing my credit report going through all kinds of updates). So when I was in my Ch. 13, Chase did not file a claim for any of the cards that I had with them. Today (Because I check Pacer religiously), I noticed that they filed a claim for one of the accounts. 

My question is what does this mean? Are they doing this in order to be able to write off a loss due to me filing? Is it normal procedure? 341 is next Tuesday on the 24th. Just curious about what this means. 

Filed Ch. 13: 5/2018 | Converted to Ch. 7: 8/2019 | Discharged: 12/2019
Dec 2019: 564 EQ | 525 TU | 587 EX
Apr 2021: 673 EQ | 649 TU | 663 EX
Capital One Secured: $1.3k Limit | Ollo Card: $3.2k Limit | Goldman Sachs Apple Card: $2k Limit | PenFed Power Cash Rewards Card: $12.5k Limit
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
FireMedic1
Super Contributor

Re: Proof of Claim Filed Questions

A proof of claim is the paperwork that a creditor must file before getting paid in a bankruptcy case. The proof of claim tells the bankruptcy trustee about the type of claim, as well as how much a creditor is owed, so the trustee can determine the amount to pay the creditor if anything. Since your filing Chapter 7 now. And I take it you passed the means test. They wont be rewarded anything. But your lawyer will know best. Just call the office and ask.

My posts are JMHO. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just sharing my experiences after learning here from rebuild to recovery after BK DC @ 540's. Help fellow members accomplish the rebuild when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 2 of 3
rustyshackelford
Established Member

Re: Proof of Claim Filed Questions

@FireMedic1 wrote:

A proof of claim is the paperwork that a creditor must file before getting paid in a bankruptcy case. The proof of claim tells the bankruptcy trustee about the type of claim, as well as how much a creditor is owed, so the trustee can determine the amount to pay the creditor if anything. Since your filing Chapter 7 now. And I take it you passed the means test. They wont be rewarded anything. But your lawyer will know best. Just call the office and ask.

Okay thanks! I'll give him a call in the morning. Just thought it was weird that with the 13, they didn't file, but now that the case is converted they did. Thank you so much!

Filed Ch. 13: 5/2018 | Converted to Ch. 7: 8/2019 | Discharged: 12/2019
Dec 2019: 564 EQ | 525 TU | 587 EX
Apr 2021: 673 EQ | 649 TU | 663 EX
Capital One Secured: $1.3k Limit | Ollo Card: $3.2k Limit | Goldman Sachs Apple Card: $2k Limit | PenFed Power Cash Rewards Card: $12.5k Limit
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.