Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about rebuilding

tag
recoveringfrombk7
Established Contributor

Re: Question about rebuilding

I did not start applying for cards until 2 months post discharge, and a little over a year later I'm over 700 with 2 out of 3. I definitely overdid applications and such before I found this place, but waiting the two months just to get things finalized and verify my credit reports and honestly just breathe/get a feel for my finances by paying cash for a bit really helped me learn how to budget and how to clearly distinguish between needs and wants. I think the last bit has helped a lot over the past year. I'm sure there is more than one way to be successful. This is just what worked from me and I could have done quite a few things better. Waiting a bit to apply for credit is not one of my regrets.

Desired BK recovery line up complete 7/12/2021. Planning to garden until 8/2023 and potentially try for AMEX.
Message 11 of 12
twono
Frequent Contributor

Re: Question about rebuilding

@recoveringfrombk7 wrote:
I did not start applying for cards until 2 months post discharge, and a little over a year later I'm over 700 with 2 out of 3. I definitely overdid applications and such before I found this place, but waiting the two months just to get things finalized and verify my credit reports and honestly just breathe/get a feel for my finances by paying cash for a bit really helped me learn how to budget and how to clearly distinguish between needs and wants. I think the last bit has helped a lot over the past year. I'm sure there is more than one way to be successful. This is just what worked from me and I could have done quite a few things better. Waiting a bit to apply for credit is not one of my regrets.

This will hopefully be my situation in 1 yr as well.  I was DC'd 78 days ago.  Didnt apply for anything til about 45 days post DC.

My KOHLS $3000 survived bk, and i have student loans.  Reports were clean except for 1 or 2 30 day lates prior to filing, but lates are not reporting.   Credit One gave me $2000, and OLLO $1100.  So i have my 3 cards and student loans.

Scores are EQ 638, EX 615, TU 604 and this is without the OLLO card reporting yet.  Today was lst statement cut for OLLO, so hopefully a nice boost in scores when my 3rd card reports.

Point is, i think waiting at least 30 days post DC is key.  My reports were still updating acct information 60+ days after DC.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.