Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raising FICO after BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Raising FICO after BK

hello everyone,

my husband and I are trying to raise scores after discharging 8/2007 Ch 7.  before disputes scores were 480-550 for him and 530-550 for me.  someone recommended applying for lots of credit cards, tried but it was probably a big mistake.  we did re-affirm on our car since they dropped the amount from $19,000 to $10,000 and it now shows in good standing for 4 months.  we had lots of judgements and collections and charge offs, some got deleted, others marked as included in BK.

can anyone tell me about how long it will take to get a score of 620?  this is what we are told we need to buy a house.  we want to move in about 45 days.  is this possible?

thanks for any help,

sinkerslingers

Message Edited by sinkerslingers on 10-23-2007 09:09 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Raising FICO after BK

Hi first off Im not good speller lol. Ok I filed chp 7 in 2003 and my score was 475 I was pretty bad off. I got a secured cc with a bank and went from there  in 3 years i got my score to 680 I bought a house last yr its tough work you can feel free to email me i can give you some tips kiddroc@verizon.net
Message 2 of 9
rizeninme
New Contributor

It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure that it is in 45 days.....

But, you never know- start disputing everything on your credit report that's not showing as IIB. I wouldn't apply for anymore credit cards right now until after the mortgage is closed- it won't help your score in the next 45 days, but it may actually lower your score because of the inquiries.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the help.  we have been thinking 45 days was pushing it to buy a house, but we so want to move.  we moved out of state to file bankruptcy after several job losses and medical bills got the best of us.  now my husband is in a hurry to move back and I was trying not to sign another apartment lease.

we disputed ex and eq in sept, those 2 are almost completed.  took forever to get tu, that got disputed this week.  at this point I don't think the disputes helped scores much because we couldn't even get approved for a orchard cc.  trying to avoid first premier.  I think they are a ripp off and they want $29 up front for 200 with another 150 in fees.

thanks for the information though.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit one has pretty decent fees.  I almost applied for first premier but am so glad I didn't. Just one time account fee (69.00) and then an annual fee broken down into monthly payments of $5.75.  My limit is only 250, though.  Smiley Sad

It just seemed so much better than the other crap cards.  Only had them a few months so I'm not sure about their CS or how willing they are to give CLIs.  No problems yet, though. 

~~~~~
Whoa!  scratch that.  I have only made one payment and they upped my limit to $400!  Nice  Smiley Happy

Message Edited by willows on 10-24-2007 09:34 PM

~~~~ Oh wow!  LOL  not trying to take over the thread, but I just found out I can upload any picture I want to put on the card!  How neat.

Message Edited by willows on 10-24-2007 09:42 PM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

do you know what your scores were with this card?  and which report they pulled?  thanks for your help.

sinkerslingers
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores with credit one was - equifax 550, transunion 549, and experian 548.
I will say, though, that I had not applied for credit for the last 3 years.  My credit reports (at the time) were as follows

It looks like they only did a hard pull on experian.

Here's what my report has

1 public record (judgement for almost $500- not paid)  ~~Does not show my bk for some reason
4 collections (all medical and total of $800 - none paid)
13 year credit history
Several lates - most from 2004, but there are a few from recent.  (my car that was IIB is showing past due on $6,600 and is listed as a charge-off)
Another charge off from a cell-phone $850 - unpaid

That about sums it up as far as the big big baddies.

HTH

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Fellow Credit Challenged Persons Take a look at Life After Bankruptcy.com You can answers, strategies and so much free info, not to mention you can sign up for a free online seminar. They tell you what cards to avoid and when & how to apply.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I receive the newsletters every wednesday.  It does give alot of good information.  Do you know more about the online siminar?  I want to listen to it but don't know about the time issue.  I can only do it at night after the baby is asleep and the husband is gone to work, so I thought about buying his book instead.

thank you

sinkerslingers
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.