Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaffirmation agreement on car lease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reaffirmation agreement on car lease

Hello

I am going to chap 7 BKR and signed a re affirmation on my leased car. My BKR has not been discharged yet, and I really want out 

of the agreement.. I am very upside down on the car, so I am stuck for 2 more years.  Also, I just can't afford the payment any more.

My lawyer is not sure if I can get out, and the company we submitted the agreement to, says we can't change our minds.

Is that true?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Reaffirmation agreement on car lease

It worries me that your lawyer isn't able to assist in this situation.. What exactly did you hire him for?

Doing some quick google reading, looks like you may have 60 days or until discharge, whichever comes first.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is not true, the bankruptcy judge that is presiding over your BK case will not approve your reaffirmation agreement if he/she feels it's not in your best interest. if your lawyer just sent the reaffirmation agreement back to the  lender , at your hearing with the BK judge let them know you want to withdraw your agreement. (you can write to the lender yourself and tell them you wish to withdraw) 

Message 3 of 6
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

That is not true, the bankruptcy judge that is presiding over your BK case will not approve your reaffirmation agreement if he/she feels it's not in your best interest. if your lawyer just sent the reaffirmation agreement back to the  lender , at your hearing with the BK judge let them know you want to withdraw your agreement. (you can write to the lender yourself and tell them you wish to withdraw) 

Source?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Your attorney needs to earn their fee. Tell your attorney to make a filing in your case asking the Judge to disallow the reaffirmation as after reconsideration you now realize you can't afford the payments.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Scuprawrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Source?

U.S Bankruptcy Court  Order on Reaffirmation Agreement (from B2400C)(12/15)  Section V. Disclosure Statements A1 ,A2, A4 ,A5

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.