Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaffirmed Loan

tag
GA1

Reaffirmed Loan

Hi,

I live in GA and file chapter 7 bankruptcy and was discharged. At the time I wanted to keep my home and asked for it to be reaffirm. This year I was looking to refinance my loan and was asked if my home was reaffirmed. When I check with the lawyer that handle my case, I was told that the court sent out letters to the mortgage company but I was not send anything to reaffirm my home loan with the mortgage company.

My question is this, if the mortgage company never reaffirmed my loan with them, can I walk away and get another home without them coming after me

thanks  

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Reaffirmed Loan

You have to look at your papers to see if the mortgage was discharged or not.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 5
Comet21
Regular Contributor

I believe it was also have to go through the forclosure process which would show up on your your report. You obviously can have it removed but make sure it was discharged. Also, everywhere I have checked it is 2 years for a new mortgage after discharge on Ch7 even if you have reaffirmed.

Starting Score: TU 477 EQ 533 BK 1/27/2012
Current Score: EX 702 TU 681 EQ 652 1/10/2014
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
GA1

I have the discharge letter for my chpt 7 but it does not give a list of what was discharged

Thanks

Message 4 of 5
GA1

Yes you are correct, it has to be two years and I am almost at that point.

I just want to make sure that once I go and get another home the mortgage company wont try and come after me since they never sent me any paperwork to sign saying i am reaffirming my mortgage with them.

Thanks

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.