Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reaffirming a mortgage in BK/Reversing a BK discharged mortgage

tag
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Reaffirming a mortgage in BK/Reversing a BK discharged mortgage

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I'd like to refi w/them, but they say No! - their refinancing my discharged debt is an "attempt to collect a discharged debt". Most they'll do is cooperate w/ new lender providing them wiith my (perfect) payment history & Pay Off balance. I sure hate my attorney who got me in this mess. Smiley Mad

I understand they can provide payment history, but how can they provide a payoff balance if the debt was technically forgiven in BK and you are now merely making voluntary payments?

Seems if another lender tried to refinance the debt it would also be considered the original lender trying to collect on a discharged debt.  Unless paying the "balance" (which was discharged technically) is considered voluntary as well.

I hope you file an ethics complaint against this attorney, their personal opinion should never trump a client's wishes, or demands in this case.

Good luck!

NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 21 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@bstone wrote:
I understand they can provide payment history, but how can they provide a payoff balance if the debt was technically forgiven in BK and you are now merely making voluntary payments?

Seems if another lender tried to refinance the debt it would also be considered the original lender trying to collect on a discharged debt.  Unless paying the "balance" (which was discharged technically) is considered voluntary as well.

I hope you file an ethics complaint against this attorney, their personal opinion should never trump a client's wishes, or demands in this case.

Good luck!

BMO Harris has been extremely frrustrating to work with. It used to be Marshall & Isley. After my 01/11 discharge I called them and learned of the reaffirmation agreement they sent that my attorney never told me about they were very sympathetic and resumed auto draft payment & monthly statements. and all was good for a year or so. Then when BMO took them over I almost defaulted on the mortgage. I happened to check my online banking mid month and thought 'Hmm, why do I have so much $$$ in my account?', and realize my mortgage payment hadn't been deducted. I call, rep doesn't know why it wasn't, and promised to deduct it & back date it. Next day I get a call from their BK dept who tells me now that it is BMO Harris they will not deduct payment from my account as that "would be an attempt to collect a discharged debt", I must send it to them. So I overnight them a check. For the next few years I mail them a check with a letter referencing the loan # & date the payment is for because they refuse to send a monthly statement, and not even the year end tax statement of interest paid. They just resumed monthly statements this year, I found out from research that's because of the Consumer Protection law now requires that.

BMO just seems to take a very hard line against those who do not reaffirm. Their claim that they won't refinance because that "would be an attempt to collect a discharged debt" is BS, because by their definition their providing a new lender or anyone a pay off balance would "be an attempt to collect a discharged debt". Some lenders hate that you can keep your property w/o affirmation by just keeping the loan current, and BMO Harris seems to be one of them.

And now, after months of their BK dept assuring me that if I got my BK case reopened they would send me a reaffirmation agreement, their legal department has stepped in and is filing a Motion to Dismiss my Adversary Proceding because they now will not accept a reffirmation agreement. They won't let me speak with anyone in legal, a non-attorney in their BK dept told me that, and when I asked why she first said because the "time to reaffirm has long since passed". I tell her that's not what they've been telling me for months, and ask exactly when is the time limit to reaffirm. She hesitates, and admits the legal dept. said if they agree to reaffirm now it could "create potenital liabilities". I think they reviewed and realize this loan has much more favorable terms then they would offer now - variable rate based on 2 yr. treasury notes, and short term rates are very low, current rate is only 3.5%, been that way for 4+ years. With that low interest & 8 years into the loan, payment is applied almost equally between principal & interest.

Anyway, my hearing at the BK court is scheduled for next tues. I'm filing a Motion for Continuance to delay until I receive their Motion to Dismiss and I can consider my options. .

And I'd love to file a complaint against my BK attorney for getting me into this mess, but he's retired and moved out of state.

Message 22 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why not refinance and be done with this **bleep** bank? Rates really are good right now.

Message 23 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hahaha...I was bleeped!  I love it. Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hahaha...I was bleeped!  I love it. Smiley Happy

LOL Smiley Very Happy Yeah, I found that out when I posted "Stuff happens", but used a little less family friendly word than 'stuff'.

Yep, that's what I'm gonna do, re-fi and get rid of this "Bleep" bank. Just got a quote for a refi mortgage a point higher than my current variable rate, but that's a fixed rate so I never have to worry about my monthly payment ever going up, and because it's a new 30 yr. loan replacing this mortgage I'm 8 years into, the monthly payment is almost exactly the same.  And that's with pulling out $8k cash, over $5k after closing costs, a nice down payment on a new car. Heart

Message 25 of 27
rllydoh
New Visitor

Hello,

I just happened to come across this post, and this is exactly what I'm going through.  My mortgage loan did not get reaffirmed in my BK 1/09 either, however my loan payments were posting on my credit bureaus up until 1 year ago.  I have no late payments since dismissal of my BK and my payments are on auto pay from my bank account.  My lawyer asked me to send copies of my credit bureaus that reflected the payments, because several lawyers want to dispute this practice.  I'm wondering if I can do the same thing you are doing since my payments are being deducted.  Also, my bank gave me a modification on my loan 6 years ago with a forgiveness of my 2nd.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance, your story is very motivating.

Message 26 of 27
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@rllydoh wrote:

Hello,

I just happened to come across this post, and this is exactly what I'm going through.  My mortgage loan did not get reaffirmed in my BK 1/09 either, however my loan payments were posting on my credit bureaus up until 1 year ago.  I have no late payments since dismissal of my BK and my payments are on auto pay from my bank account.  My lawyer asked me to send copies of my credit bureaus that reflected the payments, because several lawyers want to dispute this practice.  I'm wondering if I can do the same thing you are doing since my payments are being deducted.  Also, my bank gave me a modification on my loan 6 years ago with a forgiveness of my 2nd.  Do you have any suggestions?  Thank you in advance, your story is very motivating.

Well, congrats on finding this thread, it was when I first joined MyFico. But I'm not sure what you're asking. Your attorney is right, once a debt (your mortgage) is discharged in BK7 the lender is not supposed to report your continued payments, IIB (Included in BK) is supposed to be the end of story for the debt reported to the credit bureaus, But reporting your payments to the crdit bureaus is a good thing for you, lenders can see that you continued to pay. My mortgage just reports as IIB with no payment history post discharge, so anyone looking at my credit report would just assume I walked away instead of making on time payments for 6 years now. And your bank is being very lenient in taking payments from your bank account on autopay - my bank said taking the payment from my account can be considered an "attempt to collect a debt discharged in BK", a federal crime. I have to send the $$$ to them through my bank's Bill Pay. So I suggest you brush off your attorney's request, he might cause your bank problems and cause them to change their policies. With your loan modification forgiving the 2nd and autopay, I would be careful about stirring things up.

If you can get a good deal on refinacing with maybe some cash out of equity, you might consider that if what you want is your mortgage reporting to credit bureaus. I decided agains a refi, my property is a 10 acre property with a manufactured home and I couldn't get a cash out refi, just the current balance + closing costs. It wasn't worth incurring several thousands of $$$ for a refi just to have the mortgage reporting on my credit report, as my credit rebuild is going just fine as it is. The negative accounts IIB fall off this summer, nd that should give a nice boost to my score.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.