cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebound from Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Advice needed!!!

tag
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Rebound from Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Advice needed!!!

Hi All,

I have a question regarding my mom who is retiring. My mom filed Bankruptcy 2 years ago and and her house is in foreclosure. She is moving in with me because she had so many medical bills from her cancer treatments. To start over and rebuild her credit I know the first steps are to get a secured credit card. My credit is also in rebuild mode. I have 3 unsecured cards and my mom is good with paying her bills should I add her as a user to my Capital one card to help her show some credit?  Will it hurt my credit with the foreclosure? Or should she opt for a traditional deposit for a secured credit card. She really doesnt need it for expenses but to improve her credit profile if she needs it.   Thanks all for the advice in advance!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Rebound from Bankruptcy and Foreclosure Advice needed!!!

First I would check out this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

That will answer a lot of questions that you have. The forclosure will not hurt you because it is not yours. Adding her as an AU won't hurt as long as your util is in check. I would have her first apply for an unsecured Cap1 card. If she is unable to get unsecured credit, then she can open a secured card. No reason to limit her potential from the get go Smiley Happy If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Hope your mom is doing well, cancer is not easy for anyone. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Thanks she is going well I just want her to enjoy life the house www a huge money pit and a 4 bedroom house for my mom was too much I would have helped but I had to get out of an abusive relationship with my kids alive and I'm grateful everyday the kids love her and life is short. I tried the capital prequalify but nothing came up so I stopped there didn't want to do a hard inquiry

Message 3 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

Even if the pre qualify pops up it will still be a HP to app. Inquiries are part of the credit game though. They don't hurt as much as everyone makes it seem. I still think Cap1 is the best start at this point. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Ok I will give it a whirl for her she had not used her Walmart for over 2 years and still thought it was open. She should have a better chance than me because she once had a house and I didn't

Message 5 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Well she got the 7-10 day letter so I may just have to add her not sure which one to add her to whether it's the cap 1 with the higher cl or usaa I rarely yse

Message 6 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

I have no experience in the BK recovery area, however just want to let you know how sorry I am that your mom is going through the medical and residual financial issues.  It is wonderful that you are there fore her and supporting her!  

Best wishes.  Thoughts and prayers are with each of you.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 8
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

@EW800 wrote:

I have no experience in the BK recovery area, however just want to let you know how sorry I am that your mom is going through the medical and residual financial issues.  It is wonderful that you are there fore her and supporting her!  

Best wishes.  Thoughts and prayers are with each of you.  

thanks for the warm wishes and prayers. You have no idea how much cancer treatments can be its crazy the amount of bill with insurance. As long as she is healthy that is all that matters.  I think the AU is the route to go at this point.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.