Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuild started after 341

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuild started after 341

Why exactly can’t I start rebuilding with secured cards after the 341 meeting? Even my attorney said it was ok but I know every attorney is different. Somebody help me understand.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
donkort
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuild started after 341

I believe you have to wait until your Chapter 7 is officially "discharged."

Usually about 60 days after the 341 meeting.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 2 of 9
Harriet
New Contributor

Around here they recommend waiting for the score increase that happens after discharge. Also some companies prefer to see the official discharge reporting. 

That said I read many bankruptcy posts on Reddit and people had higher scores earlier and plenty of success starting their rebuilds after the 341.   Check them out and decide what works for you.  

Personally I wish I started my disputes right away and not waited the 30-60 days after discharge. Many things didn't update by themselves and waiting only delayed my rebuild.  

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s what I want to avoid. 60 days of waiting is 2 months of reporting I’m missing out on. I want to get my rebuild started as soon as I legally can.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disregard my previous question. After doing further research I see why it is not a good decision to open new debt before discharge. I’m starting to think I miss understood my attorney.

Message 5 of 9
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Mine told me right away and give me a bunch of info to begin with. I had 3 cards well before my discharge. One was even before my 341. All lawyer approval.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Azuieldrago wrote:

Mine told me right away and give me a bunch of info to begin with. I had 3 cards well before my discharge. One was even before my 341. All lawyer approval.

Did you apply for them? I sent you a PM.

Message 7 of 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Lawyers dont know how to rebuild credit. Its best to wait until all accounts reflect IIB and $0. Plus it looks better that you dont look like your in a rush to repeat what happened before BK and the DC. Dont want to look desparate.  Wait till the score boost hits. Everything is reporting correctly and then start the rebuild slowly. Theres no rush. Credit will still be there. Plus for some, not many. It could mean the difference between secured vs. unsecured depending on who got burned or not.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Lawyers dont know how to rebuild credit. Its best to wait until all accounts reflect IIB and $0. Plus it looks better that you dont look like your in a rush to repeat what happened before BK and the DC. Dont want to look desparate.  Wait till the score boost hits. Everything is reporting correctly and then start the rebuild slowly. Theres no rush. Credit will still be there. Plus for some, not many. It could mean the difference between secured vs. unsecured depending on who got burned or not.

+1000

I also think it's best to just take this time to really wrap your head around your financial picture and the changes you need to make for it to be a healthy one going forward.

Living on cash for a while is a very good exercise. I didn't really realize how much I spent until I was back on debit those few months (plus starting a new job after not working for close to a year . . . I was back to brown bagging PB&J but it was a very good thing.)

I also didn't want to (and didn't have to) bother with secured cards. I'm pretty darn happy with my profile today and will be buying a condo this Fall Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.