Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding after BK13

tag
lavonda
Valued Member

Rebuilding after BK13

Recently discharged 7/2018 from a BK 13 that was filed in 6/2013. I am currently in the rebuilding stages. 

Credit scores are 657 Experian, Transunion 725 and Equifax 683

Cards I obtained during the bankruptcy are as follows: 

FNB 2100 CL 

Discover it 2400 CL 

Credit One Visa 1350 CL 

Credit One MC 800 CL

City Home Depot 1000 CL 

Amazon 330 CL

JcPenny 110 CL 

I am looking to get rid of credit one and replace with another credit card. Does anyone know of any good cards I can obtain that will not decline due to BK that has no annual fee. 

I have student loans that are going back into repayment so they should start reporting soon and looking to get a new auto loaon. 

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Rebuilding after BK13

Congrats on your card lineup.   Were you able to get all these cards before discharge?   Did you have to get trustee approval?    Not making any negative suggestions, just curious because I thought it was virtually impossible to get anything besides a secured card pre-discharge on a 13?   You would easily qualify for any of the Capital One cards and probably lots of others.

Message 2 of 30
lavonda
Valued Member

Yes I started out with an FNB secure card during Bankruptcy. Then graduated to insecure card. No I did not have to get any trustee approval. I included cap1 so I’m sure the Wont give me another one.
Message 3 of 30
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 is very forgiving.  I bet they will give you a card.  Go to their page and do a prequalification.   If they give you a precise interest rate instead of a range you are good to go.   Even if they give you a range they may approve you.   Just be aware they pull all three bureaus unless one is is frozen in which case they will accept two.

Message 4 of 30
lavonda
Valued Member

Okay I’ll have to give them a try again. I did the pre qualification already and it came back with a range of four cards. Nothing specific. I tried before my BK was discharged and got declined.
Message 5 of 30
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

I included cap 1 in my BK 13, they let me back after discharge.

Message 6 of 30
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would check Cap One, Discover, and Merrick prequals.

I would not get rid of any card you simply do not hate.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 30
lavonda
Valued Member

This is true about getting rid of cards I don’t hate. But credit one charges a monthly fee that I hate.
I currently have a discover card.
Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lavonda wrote:
This is true about getting rid of cards I don’t hate. But credit one charges a monthly fee that I hate.
I currently have a discover card.

How long were you in your bk13 did you app for the discover IT? And do you remember what your score was?

Message 9 of 30
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Yea, I would dump credit one especially if you have fees involved.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.