Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refinancing Car Loan After BK

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Refinancing Car Loan After BK

My Chapter 7 BK is about to be discharged next week. 

Has anyone successfully refinanced their auto loan (mine was kept during the BK), to a lower rate/payment? Or should I not do this as a fresh out of BK person? Should I wait six months or more first? The current loan is 16.85% interest from a buy here/pay here lot that does not offer refinancing. 

I have a NFCU account and was thinking of using them to refinance the auto loan. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Refinancing Car Loan After BK

Its best to wait at least up to 60 days for all the creditors listed in your BK to update your CR's. Some not all actually get a score increase because you no longer have any debts. It not written in stone but it could happen. I would wait until then. Get your CR's and make sure then that everyone is reporting correctly. Then you will get nailed by auto offers galore. Then talk to NFCU once its all completed and see what happens. There are many success stories about car loans after BK. Be patient and let it all fall into place. Good Luck and let us know.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.