cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renting apartment after Ch.7

mnmlsky

Renting apartment after Ch.7

I live in Los Angeles. Have been at my current place for about 3 years now. About 15 months since Ch. 7 was completed. Credit is mid to high 600s. Two credit cards. No credit card debt. 10K on school loan. Perfect since discharge. Six figure income.

Looking to move to a bigger\better place. I see that many rental\property management companies have a no bancruptcy rule. Personally, I think it's dumb as hell becaue I actually took responsilbity and have a good record now. I make good money. I've never been late with rent or anything else. 

How hard is it going to be to find a place? I can of course get a cosigner, but not sure if that will help. I don't want to rent some dump or live in the ghetto either. I am afraid that if it's a nicer building it's most likely managed by a management company and that would refuse me outright. Or is this possible?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TattnallTrio
Frequent Contributor

Re: Renting apartment after Ch.7

Some places want here in Georgia require 2 years to pass post-discharge. With the fair housing guidelines that have to be consistent and have the same policies for everybody.

I hope you're able to find something. 

Message 2 of 4
Mizqtpye
Valued Member

I honestly don't think it will be that hard for you...I was way less than two years post-Ch7 discharge when I rented my apartment in Brookhaven area of Atlanta, GA.  I'm a little on the bougie side, so it's a pretty expensive area ... for Georgia standards anyway (but of course no where near Los Angeles prices).  

I think what mattered most was my steady employment and 6 figure salary.  Note also that I did not have any recent renting history as you do (as I was living with an ex for 7 years prior to renting my current apartment).  

What I did was ask upfront before applying (as most places required fees to apply) would my bankruptcy alone hinder me from approval.  It was not the easiest thing to talk about, but BKs are not as taboo as they once were IMO, so I just booked tours at the places I wouldn't mind living at and sat down and had a frank discussion with the leasing agent.

Once I gathered all my entail, I weighed all my options and applied to only one place and was approved for that place. 

Sending you positive energy that you get the place that you want!!! 

Starting FICO 8: 6/2020: EX 546 - TU 507 - EQ 596
Current FICO 8: 12/2021: EX 669 - TU 674 - EQ 671
2021 Goal Score: EX 690 - TU 690 - EQ 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
mnmlsky

Thank you. That's my plan. I am going to find places, ask them, if they have no problem with my bk then schedule a tour. 

The prices here are a whole other story. Our first apartment in US was $650 in West Hollywood in 1991. It was a old a%% 2 bedroom in the heart of the city. It's $4500 right now. If I liked cold weather, I'd be gone a long time ago =)

Again, thanks for the hopefully good news. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.