Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rewards cards 2 yrs post bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rewards cards 2 yrs post bankruptcy?

Hi!  I am two years post chapter 7 right now.   My credit was perfect beforehand, FICO was around 812.  The bankruptcy was the result of losing a small personal business (long story).  Not a whole lot even got listed as delinquent.  It was more a safety net thing I had to do, plus a small business loan I had personally signed for.  My credit report shows very little negative....no delinquent reports.  Only one public record, and then a shorter credit history since I closed everything down before filing.

I immediately got and paid off a 12 month secured loan with my bank.   I also got a Capital One card, and the balance has since been raised.   Also a Paypal credit account and the balance was raised.  My name is also back on a couple good accounts my husband has, although his credit isn't stellar due to the infamous cosigning for an untrustworthy family member thing.

i don't have my current FICO.  My "guesstimate" scores from Capital One and Credit Karma range from 689 to 715.

I would like to get a nice rewards card, but I don't want a lot of hard inquiries.  Amazon auto rejects people with a bankruptcy.   Do all rewards cards do that?  Will I have to wait the full 7-10 years, even if my credit score rebounds?  I guess I'm looking for my next step in building my credit, other than paying off some previous family debt we have that had nothing to do with the bankruptcy.  I'm not ready to get a car loan right now, either.  I should add that my CCs are low limits because we do not make a whole lot of money right now.  :-/   Particularly me, because I only have part time work at the moment.  We also have family CC debt of around $12,000 that needs to be paid off, so we don't show a lot of available credit, which is not good.   Our cars are both paid for though.

Thanks for any tips!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rewards cards 2 yrs post bankruptcy?

Welcome to myFICO. Smiley Happy  If you're serious about rebuilding IMO, you need to know your true credit scores first.  The cheapest way to do that is to spend $1 on a 7-day trial with CreditCheck Total.  You'll have daily report/score for EX and monthly updates for TU and EQ.  When you call or canel online before your trial ends, you'll be offered 50% to keep it ($15/mo instead of $30/mo).

Have you checked the Cap One prequal site to see if anything comes up?

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Definitely serious about rebuilding, and I think I'm doing pretty good so far, but kind of at a standstill.  Thanks for the tip on how to get my scores affordably!   I know my initial score of 812 because my small business loan guy told me, but that's it.

Is the prequal site pretty dependable?  I haven't tried anything like that.   The last thing I tried was earlier this year I tried the Amazon card and one other card, and both pinged back as a definite no.   Amazon even says if you have a public record, they don't even want you to apply.  So I just stopped trying, to let my inquiries take a rest for awhile.

What I really need is a better job so my income goes up so I can get approved for higher credit amounts but....meh....it's an employer's market out there.

What's gardening?

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One prequalification site is pretty right on.  What Cap One card do you have now?

Gardening is not applying for any cards, not taking a HP (hard pull) for anything.  Letting things improve with time and maintenance.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi!  I am two years post chapter 7 right now.   My credit was perfect beforehand, FICO was around 812.  The bankruptcy was the result of losing a small personal business (long story).  Not a whole lot even got listed as delinquent.  It was more a safety net thing I had to do, plus a small business loan I had personally signed for.  My credit report shows very little negative....no delinquent reports.  Only one public record, and then a shorter credit history since I closed everything down before filing.

I immediately got and paid off a 12 month secured loan with my bank.   I also got a Capital One card, and the balance has since been raised.   Also a Paypal credit account and the balance was raised.  My name is also back on a couple good accounts my husband has, although his credit isn't stellar due to the infamous cosigning for an untrustworthy family member thing.

i don't have my current FICO.  My "guesstimate" scores from Capital One and Credit Karma range from 689 to 715.

I would like to get a nice rewards card, but I don't want a lot of hard inquiries.  Amazon auto rejects people with a bankruptcy.   Do all rewards cards do that?  Will I have to wait the full 7-10 years, even if my credit score rebounds?  I guess I'm looking for my next step in building my credit, other than paying off some previous family debt we have that had nothing to do with the bankruptcy.  I'm not ready to get a car loan right now, either.  I should add that my CCs are low limits because we do not make a whole lot of money right now.  :-/   Particularly me, because I only have part time work at the moment.  We also have family CC debt of around $12,000 that needs to be paid off, so we don't show a lot of available credit, which is not good.   Our cars are both paid for though.

Thanks for any tips!

Get a second Capital One card (QS or Venture if your FICO scores are high 600's), and you can get your current Cap One card upgraded to Reward status (1.5% cashback on all purchases). You might also be interested in the Barclays Reward card (2% on gas, groceries and utilities, 1% on everything else). If you have more than a year of current credit card payment history they will most likely approve you.

If the AU accounts you are on have high balances, you are better off removing yourself from them. Balances are a huge portion of scoring, so there's no sense in letting high balances ding both of your scores. If you have no current installment accounts, you would also benefit from opening an account with SDFCU and getting a secured loan for $500. They will go 36 months at 3.99% so the payments are under $15.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just did the pre approval and they said nothing matched.  :-/   Just gave me random suggestions of basic cards I don't want.

i am not sure which card I do have....it's a basic MasterCard from Capital One with a $2500 limit and high interest.

i guess I'll go find out how bad my FICO score is next.  I think Credit Karma is lying to me!  It must not be picking up on how bad the BK is, since not much else shows up bad. I'm guessing my Capital One credit tracker score of 689 or whatever it is, is closer to the truth.   It has held pretty steady around that number for the past year.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Norman....I can't figure out how to include posts with a reply on this particular board!  Hm.

i didn't know I could upgrade my current card.   I just call and ask?

What credit union is the abbreviation for?   That sounds like a good idea.   I did $1000 with my bank right away after bankruptcy, but I should do that again?  Or is it a different kind?

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks Norman....I can't figure out how to include posts with a reply on this particular board!  Hm.

What credit union is the abbreviation for?   That sounds like a good idea.   I did $1000 with my bank right away after bankruptcy, but I should do that again?  Or is it a different kind?

When you reply you'll see a "Quote" button on upper right.  Click that first.

Is this the Cap One pre qual site you used?

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

Scroll to bottom to the 'Find out in 60 secs" tab.  Say your credit is Average.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go into cap one chat and ask if your Platinum is eligible for upgrade to Rewards status.  They'll change it to a QS with no AF.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When you reply you'll see a "Quote" button on upper right.  Click that first.

Is this the Cap One pre qual site you used?

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/

Scroll to bottom to the 'Find out in 60 secs" tab.  Say your credit is Average.

Thanks!

yeah that's the site, and I did put average.  Ugh.

i shoulda tried the rewards thing before I did my Christmas shopping!  Lol.  I'll try that today.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.