cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Savings During Bankruptcy

tag
SPINEDA

Savings During Bankruptcy

For those who have filed, were you able to save for unexpected emergencies during bankruptcy? Did you close your savings account or just kept a $0 balance?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Savings During Bankruptcy

First, I am assuming you've filed a Chapter 13, not 7. And, yes, my budget was 'loose' enough that, after a period of adjustment, I easily found savings in it. Budgeting/funding EVERY available category in your plan is key, I think. In fact, by the end of my case (80% to unsecured, by the way), I had as much as $1,000 discretionary income monthly. So-called 'passbook' savings accounts at banks pay such low interest rates (compared to the 5% I got as a kid 40 years ago, anyway) I didn't bother. I have two checking accounts at separate banks, one of which I used to segregate 'discretionary' savings, while also keeping cash in the household safe. I saved enough to manage a mortgage approval 55 days after discharge.

Message 2 of 4
SPINEDA

Thank you for your response. I haven't filed yet; however, I will meet with an attorney this month. I've read through the FAQ's and threads but I rarely came across any mention of savings during bankruptcy. While I expect a major reality check with having to stick with an established budget, I was concerned that there will be little cushion room for saving for emergencies. I'm sure it will work out.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 4
MyFico_704
Regular Contributor

Hate to ask this question but.... Are you not allowed to have a savings account after filing bk?

That's what it sounds like....

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.