cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared, need advice

tag
justme15

Scared, need advice

In the past couple of months I have ran up my CC debt to a little over 45K, up to this point I have not been late with any payments. However this is going to change starting this month as I am unable to afford even the min payments on the CC. I'm worried about my house, my car, just about everything.  I don't know if I should pay what I can or try to negotiate with CC companys.  I'm looking for advice on what to do next

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scared, need advice

Do you work? If so, do you have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? Call them. They will be able to give you legal referrals to bankruptcy attorneys. This is a confidential service - EAPs do not report information back to your employer or to anyone except in certain cases such as potential harm to self or others, or legal subpoenas, etc. 

Schedule with at least one attorney, preferably more than one. Think up ALL the questions you can about your situation. Is bankruptcy right for you, or another solution? If bankruptcy, which chapter will you qualify for? Will you be able to retain your house, car, possessions? What about any other questions specific to your situation (I had to ask, for example, about job duties I had that were impacted by bankruptcy)? etc. Gauge how the attorneys answer - if they are receptive, knowledgeable, willing to seek out answers they might not know right away, or whether they are closed off, wave you off when they don't know an answer, etc. 

You might also look into a nonprofit credit counseling agency in your region - one that you can actually sit down with and do a credit counseling session with. They may or may not recommend a debt management program. When I did my credit counseling session prior to looking into BK, we reviewed DMPs and they outright told me that a DMP was not appropriate for my specific situation. However, it may be of assistance to you and they may have other good advice for you. 

Begin reading up on bankruptcy on websites like this one, and NOLO's bankruptcy section (free, and written by attorneys to be accessible to lay people like us). It may raise a lot more questions for you, but that's exactly when you start writing them down and keeping a list to ask the attorney(s) at your free consultations.

If you have to go through 2-3 or even more attorney consults, don't fret. You need to find the right one, and you will need time to save up your attorney/filing fees anyway. Don't feel rushed. Don't sign anything the very first time you meet. Breathe and take the time you need. Best of luck.

Message 2 of 6
redneck18
Contributor

If you still have a steady income I would start liquidating assets, return anything you can in good conscience, then start selling the rest. I assume you have something to show for the debt incurred? If you have minimal assets BK may be your best option, but if you are not currently late and still have an income I feel there may be another route for you.
Message 3 of 6
justme15

No, I don't have anything to show for it

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@justme15 wrote:

No, I don't have anything to show for it

If you truly ran this debt up "in the last couple of months" BK isn't going to be an option for quite some time. 

Sell the house. Sell the car. Work more. Pay it off.

Message 5 of 6
wa3more
Established Contributor

I would only pay for 4 wheels and 4 walls...the expenses related to a car to get you to work and keeping a roof over your head.

Also, wait until you get sued and face possible garnishments/levies and so on for thinking of BK which is last resort nuke option. That could be a while down the road. You save up all you can and possibly settled for 30-60% of full amount. Some creditors may not even bother. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.