tag
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Second thoughts, ch 7... please help!!!

Hello! Question here--

What would you do? BK Ch 7 or rebuild?

Situation:

25 baddies:

*mostly 1-year-old charge-offs/collections for credit cards (which make up more than 50% of my total debt)

*a few small personal loans, utility services due to fall off in 1-2 years

*an old appartment which will fall off in 1-2 years

Approx. $25k+ debt total

5 positive closed accts, 2 positive active accts

Up to date student loans

I am currently unemployed as we transition to a new state due to my husband's recent job change. Last year I made about $15k (was told I have to bring tax forms)

I have 1 asset to my name, which is my paid-off vehicle (no loan, paid cash)

and about $1,500 in my bank account

I know that if I file, it will take all the money I have saved up, but my husband can handle the household bills until I find a new job. He is making about $1000/wk after work expenses (he is a contractor) with this new job and we have three kids, and our rent is around $1200/mo.

Hopefully I provided enough background info that you guys can help me make the best decision. Thanks in advnace Smiley Happy

BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Second thoughts, ch 7... please help!!!

@MyLoFico17 wrote:

Hello! Question here--

What would you do? BK Ch 7 or rebuild?

Situation:

25 baddies:

*mostly 1-year-old charge-offs/collections for credit cards (which make up more than 50% of my total debt)

*a few small personal loans, utility services due to fall off in 1-2 years

*an old appartment which will fall off in 1-2 years

Approx. $25k+ debt total

5 positive closed accts, 2 positive active accts

Up to date student loans

I am currently unemployed as we transition to a new state due to my husband's recent job change. Last year I made about $15k (was told I have to bring tax forms)

I have 1 asset to my name, which is my paid-off vehicle (no loan, paid cash)

and about $1,500 in my bank account

I know that if I file, it will take all the money I have saved up, but my husband can handle the household bills until I find a new job. He is making about $1000/wk after work expenses (he is a contractor) with this new job and we have three kids, and our rent is around $1200/mo.

Hopefully I provided enough background info that you guys can help me make the best decision. Thanks in advnace Smiley Happy

I would consult a "good" BK attorney for advice...often a free initial consult. Most good BK attorneys will not advise filing if it is better handled otherwise. The 2 biggest mistakes most make are getting finances in such shape that BK is needed, and waiting too long to declare BK. Often BK is the only answer that will actually get someones finances straightened out, and to wait is just kicking the can down the road and delaying financial recovery. You will likely be able to exempt the small assets you have.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this depends on the whether the State you are moving to is a community property state or not. If it is, then I don't beleive you can file just yourself, it would have to be a joint filing.

Message 3 of 17
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this depends on the whether the State you are moving to is a community property state or not. If it is, then I don't beleive you can file just yourself, it would have to be a joint filing.

It's Georgia. We do not have to file jointly. 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

As Sarge suggested above, a good BK attorney will be able to give you better advice on how to proceed.

Message 5 of 17
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As Sarge suggested above, a good BK attorney will be able to give you better advice on how to proceed.

How will I know a "good" attorney from one who is not? Just search for reviews? Ask certain questions?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most have free consultations. If you work, you may have an EAP that will refer you. If you have a union, they may also refer you. Internet searches may also yield some results for you, or even word of mouth if you have anyone you can trust to ask.

How to tell if one is good - well, you have the right to not book them, and to walk out of the room (and into your car, and drive away.) If they blow off your questions, you don't have to sign on the dotted line. If they make it sound like everything is easy peasy and nothing has ANY consequences, they might not be good. Now, a good lawyer is going to reassure you a lot because BK is actually much easier than many people build it up to be. However, I passed up three attorneys because I felt they didn't answer my questions to my satisfaction. Either they blew me off altogether, or they sounded like they didn't have the specific knowledge I needed them to have in this specific area given my specific needs, etc.

Don't be afraid to consult with 2-3 atty's BUT don't put this off too long either. 

GL.

Message 7 of 17
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for these answers, they are very helpful. I will definitely consult with a few different attorneys. I just want to be sure they give me the best advice and not just steer me toward a BK to collect more fees. 

Message 8 of 17
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

The bankruptcy exemptions that should apply will be where you spent the last 2 years, not where you recently moved. You're not considered a resident for filing purposes until you've lived there 2 years.

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 9 of 17
wa3more
Established Contributor

for 25k, i would not be in a rush to file.

Are you currently being sued, have judgments/garnishment/liens ?

I would wait it out and see what happens. I had 50k of debt, some creditors walked away and others i settled at 20-30% using the arbitration card as leverage.

Keep all correspondence you get from collectors and learn FDCPA/FCRA . If creditors violate, they will cut you checks.

Remember, BK is last resort. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.