Secured Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Secured Card

@Anonymous wrote:

@jmcmillan wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just tried sdfcu for their secured and they said no.

Can you provide some more details about the denial? There's no credit check on their secured card. I dischared on 12/24, and I just got two secured cards from SDFCU.

Did you apply for membership first? Are you a member of the American Consumer Council? Membership requires a hard pull, and if they aren't able to verify your identity, they won't open an account.

I haven't had a lot of luck, either, despite many other people getting approvals shortly after discharge. That's why I settled on two secured cards from SDFCU and one from OpenSky.

I put that I would join ACC, I haven't received a reason letter, online app status check just says "declined". I did get a hard pull to my credit

@jmcmillan denied for card due to no membership, membership is processing, I emailed them and asked them if they needed anything besides my DL and sscard that I uploaded, waited a week, no response, emailed again they said they needed a utility bill. Uploaded it and they just did another hard pull. I applied for both a membership and secured card at the same time because it advertised you can do that on the secured card info page on their website, just got approved for membership but will have to reapply for secured.

Message 11 of 29
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jmcmillan denied for card due to no membership, membership is processing, I emailed them and asked them if they needed anything besides my DL and sscard that I uploaded, waited a week, no response, emailed again they said they needed a utility bill. Uploaded it and they just did another hard pull. I applied for both a membership and secured card at the same time because it advertised you can do that on the secured card info page on their website, just got approved for membership but will have to reapply for secured.

Re-apply, and make sure you upload your driver license and utility bill. On my first secured credit card, I had to call them because they didn't respond after I uploaded my documents. It feels like they have a small team working on these applications.

Message 12 of 29
Credit_Master
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jmcmillan wrote:

Another vote for SDFCU.. instant approval for me! No annual fee, and it graduates!

I have been trying to rebuild after a bk last Jan. I just tried sdfcu for their secured and they said no. I was able to get a credit one unsecured though! I've been surprised at how many times I've been turned down for secured cards. You would think the whole point in them would be for people with bad credit. I'm up to a 650 ish score now. My credit one is about to be a year old so I was thinking of getting rid of it before the AF but I can't find a good alternative. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discover and Captial One both said no to secured cards, as did a few credit unions. I just want to find a card with no AF to keep. Ideally secured that graduates or unsecured.

If you are a member of the American Consumer Council from joining SDFCU you can join Andrews FCU also using your ACC membership. I joined Andrews due to their secured card having rewards and no credit check. I am not sure if the card will graduate or unsecure though. I just opened a Savings account as I already have too many checking accounts to monitor.

Current Cards

Goal Cards

Total CL $77,100
Message 13 of 29
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

@Credit_Master wrote:

If you are a member of the American Consumer Council from joining SDFCU you can join Andrews FCU also using your ACC membership. I joined Andrews due to their secured card having rewards and no credit check. I am not sure if the card will graduate or unsecure though. I just opened a Savings account as I already have too many checking accounts to monitor.

I did not know that, thank you for the tip!

Message 14 of 29
Bippy_33
Regular Contributor

@jmcmillan  I've hit my 1 year mark with the card and as a matter of fact my 13th statement cuts tomorrow 5/18/21 so, I'm still waiting to see if it graduates. I sent them an email asking about it but, they still haven't gotten back to me yet so, hopefully after tomorrow I'll have good news to pass along.

Message 15 of 29
jmcmillan
Frequent Contributor

@Bippy_33  I'm on the edge of my seat. Good luck!

Message 16 of 29
Bippy_33
Regular Contributor

Thank you !  Let's hope they keep their promise at the 1 year mark. Payments always on time & 1% utilization the entire time.

Message 17 of 29
Papa_Bear
Frequent Contributor

@Bippy_33 Good luck. I think many of us are coming up right behind you for potential graduation.

Message 18 of 29
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@Bippy_33 wrote:

@jmcmillan  I've hit my 1 year mark with the card and as a matter of fact my 13th statement cuts tomorrow 5/18/21 so, I'm still waiting to see if it graduates. I sent them an email asking about it but, they still haven't gotten back to me yet so, hopefully after tomorrow I'll have good news to pass along.

Which secured card do you have?  Some card issuers are better than others when it comes to graduation.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 19 of 29
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

I joined them less than 6 mos ago and I'm not even three years post bk....today I got 20k credit card.  I was shocked.  

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.