Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secured cards during ongoing chapter 13 bankruptcy

tag
dgsl1967

Secured cards during ongoing chapter 13 bankruptcy

HI,

My husband and I filed Chapter 13 in October 2017, began making payments to the trustee in November 2017, our case was approved.  Now all advice I am being given from various financial representatives about rebuilding our credit is to obtain a secured credit card, make on time payments and wait for our case to be discharged once all payments are made to the trustee.  Can anyone help lead me in the direction of who may actually approve a secured card for us?  It is funny because one of the representatives that advised us to obtain a secured credit card was from Bank of America and they denied us very quickly due to our ongoing bankruptcy.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Secured cards during ongoing chapter 13 bankruptcy

The most important thing is that your trustee pre-approve anything you do in terms of getting new credit -- secured or not.   You don't want your BK dismissed due to a lack of understanding!

That said, OpenSky is a great Visa for your situation and they do not pull a credit report.   It was my first card after filing for BK 7 but before discharge.   It's not a feature rich card but it has a straight annual fee like $29 or something and no crazy fees, regular period of time to pay new charges without incuring any interest, etc.

Message 2 of 4
homeloanexpert
Established Contributor

You've done exactly what I encourage all my future clients to do. Great job!  Now keep your payments on time and your balances at 10% or less (never $0) and your scores will be as high as possible. Believe it or not, you will be able to apply for a home loan after 12 months of on time payments to the Trustee. If you decide to take that step, please feel to PM me and I'll give you the details. Best wishes to you!

Branch Manager - Specializing in FHA, VA, USDA, Conventional, Jumbo, Portfolio and Non-QM Loan Products.
Message 3 of 4
MP15_556
New Contributor

I am about 4 months out from my completion of my Chapter 13 Plan (5 yrs.) I decided to roll the dice and apply for a few secured cards.

Bank of America was a decline.
Capital One was a decline.
US Bank was approved.
Also opted for an Open Sky card.

I
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.