Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I wait until I am discharged?

tag
bandlp08
New Contributor

Should I wait until I am discharged?

Okay so I filed for Chapter 7 BK on 12/17. Had My 341 meeting yesterday. Trustee said she moved to have the case closed. So My discharge date is 4/8.  Anywho, I was doing my research and like I had said in the past I had burned almost everyone. So looking forward. I know I will try for a secured Discover (didnt burn them) and a secured card from my local credit union. So I was thinking about who I could work on for the third card. After reading so many posts I had decided on NFCU. So here is my question. Do I wait until I get discharged to open a checking/savings account with them and start building a relationship or can I go on and establish that now?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I wait until I am discharged?

Opening a checking/savings account with them now or later doesn't do much other than get you through whatever hoops you will need to jump through to verify and complete your membership.

Regarding getting the 3rd card, wait until post discharge before getting the secured NFCU card. That's my opinion.
Message 2 of 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I wait until I am discharged?

I'm not a NFCU expert. Though you want to wait until all your accounts are updated at least up to 60 days after the DC. Some not all get a score boost after the BK kills it. Your no longer in debt so everything is 0 balance. So it could work in your favor to hold out and see if your one of the lucky ones that have a score increase after the smoke clears. Not saying 40-50 points. But maybe enough to get approved more than a denial now due to your reports havent been totally updated. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.