Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing late payment status on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing late payment status on credit report

I received my discharge on August 8th I just recently pulled my credit reports and 2 of the 3 are reporting as late in the payment status although it does state included in bankruptcy and zero balance. I also have 2 credit cards that I was an authorized user from my ex husband reporting as late and charged off account I did include them in my bankruptcy because they were showing negatively on my report.. My question is can I dispute the authorized user accounts and can I also dispute the accounts IIB that are reporting late? I'm not so sure what is a waste of time to dispute and what is worth a shot..
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Showing late payment status on credit report

@Anonymous wrote:
I received my discharge on August 8th I just recently pulled my credit reports and 2 of the 3 are reporting as late in the payment status although it does state included in bankruptcy and zero balance. I also have 2 credit cards that I was an authorized user from my ex husband reporting as late and charged off account I did include them in my bankruptcy because they were showing negatively on my report.. My question is can I dispute the authorized user accounts and can I also dispute the accounts IIB that are reporting late? I'm not so sure what is a waste of time to dispute and what is worth a shot..

The creditors have to be notified by the court that a debt was discharged, then the creditor has to update the status of the debts at the CRA's. This takes some time, it should update soon to 0 balance and IIB. Wait a few weeks and if not updated contact your lawyer, the creditor is subject to 1000 penalty for trying to collect on discharged debt if they do not update within I think 30 days after discharge. I could be wrong on the number of days...and believe it or not, my understanding is the $1000 would go to you!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 2 of 7
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry, I misread your post. If it is reporting a 0 balance, and included in bankruptcy, it is reporting accurately. The creditor does not have to remove the word late as far as I have ever heard. The word late will not cause any more harm to your score, as long as balance says 0, and IIB is accurate.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 3 of 7
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Also you should call the cc issuer and have them remove you as AU on the husbands CC's but I'm not sure it will remove info already posting on credit report. An AU is not legally responsible for that cards payment...the primary card holder is. On fico08, and fico09 scoring models even good AU credit is discounted, and I think negative AU info is totally ignored.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure your response is quite accurate.

You say that the late payments during the time of bankruptcy filing and discharge won't count against you on your credit report.  It has in my case and continues to plague me.  I'd love to hear any advice on the matter.  

From the research I have done, not all creditors will report this, but, the ones who do are completely valid in doing so, although it is a MAJOR D*ck move!  

When they do, it fouls you up for over 7 years.  Bankruptcy is supposed to be a way to clear your credit and give you a fresh start.  My advice to anyone thinking about it is, keep paying your bills until the debts are actually discharged....not when the paper work is filed and your attorney says it's OK to stop paying like mine did! 

They are counting all this against mine from Sept 2013 until debt was discharged in March 2014.  Multiply the months times the number of debtors who are reporting you late, that is how many times you'll be showing as late.  In my case, it is between 11 and 14 times!  That has knocked my score down to between 519 and 539.  The rest of my report shows that I am between "Good" and "Excellent", if only I could get these "late" pays off my record.  

Most of my debtors haven't done this, just a few...a credit union I belonged to for almost 30 years.  I had several vehicle loans though them over the years, they made PLENTY of money in interest along the way.  At the time of my BK I had 4 or 5 active loans, mostly for my business, various trucks, pieces of equipment and an SUV.  The SUV I kept and continued to make payments on and eventually paid it off.  

I turned everything in to them in excellent condition the moment they asked, provided them with keys, everything they needed.  How'd they thank me?  They repoed the SUV I was staying current on "by mistake" (it cost me $500 to retrieve it and a lot of embarrasment as my son was the one driving it at the time).  They continue to report the months in between the filing and discharge dates as "late", and never gave me the title to the SUV and have ignored my requests for it.

I am at a loss as to how to get them to stop reporting the late payments.  Perhaps I just have to wait it out.

Anyone with advice, I'd sure like to know what my steps of recourse are.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you file Chapter 7 bankruptcy, you are required to stop paying creditors (unless it is a secured loan that you want to keep). Creditors are no longer allowed to seek payment from you, and collection agencies aren't allowed to call you. If you make a payment on an unsecured debt, that payment will actually be recaptured and given to the trustee to distribute between all of the creditors. So, no, it shouldn't be giving you late payments after you file, because you aren't allowed to make payments. If those accounts are showing lates from after your file date, you should dispute them with the Credit Bureaus to say IIB/Never Late. 

Message 6 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

If you were late prior to filing BK it is perfectly legal to report that. After filing debts are under jurisdiction of a federal court and creditors can not only make any attempt to collect a debt, they cannot accept any payments on the debt. Reporting a late payment on a debt after receiving notice of filing of a BK can be considered an attempt to collect a debt and is not allowed.

I had been using checks from CCs to make payments on other CCs, foolishly trying to delay the inevitable. Those are considered cash advances, and of made within 90 days of filing BK a creditor can file to have those amounts excluded from being discharged. So my attorney made me wait 90 days to file, but also told me to stop paying anyone. So I had most CCs reporting 30-60-90 days late prior to filing, but several continued to report 120-150-180-CO (Charge Off) after filing. I disputed those with the CRAs saying that was an attempt to collect a debt.

I thought that had successfully removed all reports of late payments, even prior to filing. My annual free credit report from all 3 CRAs do not show a single late. But you know what? Every FICO score based on TU says "Serious delinquency and a Public Record", so somewhere those lates are still buried somewhere, so I'm not convinced how effective it is to dispute lates.The only difference is the 7 accounts IIB have Pay Status as "IIB", where all positive accounts have Pay Status as "Paid as agreed". Also several of the derogatory accounts report high balance over the credit limit because of the fees they added. So, anyone looking at my CR would reasonably assume there were late payments, but credit reports aren't supposed to include any assumptions, just facts.

My BK7 was discharged 1/31/2011, and my TU credit report says those 7 derogatory accounts will fall off between March to August this year depending on the account, so by September my TU based FICO had darn well better not have those word "serious delinquencies".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.