Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Started the process!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Started the process!

Hey guys, I've read alot in the forum.....but I need major help. I filed BK7 on 09/05/18 and filed and adversary proceeding to try and get from up under this mountain of student loan debt (86k) with no degree to show for it. I have had my 341 meeting. I am trying to see if anybody else has gotten their student loans discharged so that I can know the next steps that are coming my way. Also trying to get a good understanding on where I need to go after I get DC. I see on here that everyone is getting new CC's, and they are getting pretty decent CLs. How do you go about getting a CL of above 500? Is there a particular way you fill out these applications that I am unaware of. How long are you supposed to wait to apply for your first CC? Everyone recommends Cap1 but they were IIB so does that change who I should first go t for a card?

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Started the process!

Hi and welcome..

SL debt is very hard to get DC, but its possible, and if your attorney can show/prove that continuing the payments after DC will still be a hardship, then it will be up to the judge if they are DCed all together, or partially etc..

Rebuilding after DC is fairly easy. I would suggest you really read the forums, and utilize the search button at the top.

After your DC and your credit reports are reflecting everything properly as they should, then you could try for the Cap1 prequal site, and see if they offer you anything. If they say we "recommend", its not an approval. If they say congrats, and theres a set APR, then go for it.

Rebuilding takes time, so be patient. Some are able to get cap1 with a SL of $1k-$3k, just depends. Me personally, I got $1k SL on their plat. Of course that was 5 1/2 yrs ago. A lot of folks start out with a secured card just to get a positive TL reporting on their reports (I did), and I ultimately think that helped my rebuild.

Lets get you thru the DC first, then we can help more. In the meantime....read, read, read
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.