Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting over after Chp 7 Just discharged 10/22

tag
tk-2018
Valued Member

Starting over after Chp 7 Just discharged 10/22

In the Bk. the following were burned: Credit One, Merrick, Amex, Capital One, Discover , Apple Card

First one post DC: Ollo (1k SL)  not sure what cc to look for next I kept two autoloans  one is nearly paid  off and other i had a really low interest rate on but that was through my local C/U and they didn't seem to update the fact  im keeping it and paying on it each month while the other one did. So I'm trying to figure out which and what  to go for next since discover was one of the ones burned. 

Chapter 7 6/22.
Fico 8's As of Jan. 15, 2023:

Verge 750

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
tk-2018
Valued Member

Re: Starting over after Chp 7 Just discharged 10/22

Forgot to mention that i was also approved for a Verge card 750 SL which doubles in 6 months of on time payments just not sure if i want to accept it. Any opinons on this for a second of the three cards to start with?

Chapter 7 6/22.

Verge 750

Message 2 of 30
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@tk-2018 wrote:

Forgot to mention that i was also approved for a Verge card 750 SL which doubles in 6 months of on time payments just not sure if i want to accept it. Any opinons on this for a second of the three cards to start with?

Congrats!

My discharge is next month. 

Never heard of verge so no idea on that one.

Do you qual for Navy Federal? They have a secured card that supposedly graduates. 

Check Mission Lane? 

@FireMedic1 what say you?

Siggy updated Feb 16 2023
Chapter 7 BK discharge: 12/19/22
Inquiries: 6/6mo 7/12mo 7/24mo – Latest inquiry: NFCU - Approved 01/23
Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 3 of 30
tk-2018
Valued Member

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

@tk-2018 wrote:

Congrats!

It has a 99 dollar annual fee that they charge to start with which I was approved for 750 and at six months supposed to double to 1500 just dunno if the 99 annual fee is worth it or not. So I have yet to activate that one . 

Do you qual for Navy Federal? They have a secured card that supposedly graduates. I would because my dad was in the navy but I don't think he had any idea about his documents and he isn't a member so don't know how that works so I was looking at maybe PenFed instead 

Check Mission Lane? 
I just applied there today but it said declined due to the inability to verify my credit references not even sure what that means as I never seen that before. 

Chapter 7 6/22.

Verge 750

Message 4 of 30
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Everything goes by the file date. DC means nothing but the case is closed. So you can change your siggy to when you filed. Forget Disco for a long time. Might have to go the secured route since Merrick and Credit1 were burned. Cap1 is forgiving. You could try for the Plat. Dont get greedy and go for the "One's". Goal is 3 revovling credit accounts. Name and CL means nothing right now. Time to build the foundation for the new home (credit) to build on.  Open Sky is also a good rebuilder. No HP I beleieve.

Message 5 of 30
DogwoodLynx
Frequent Contributor

@tk-2018 wrote:

@DogwoodLynx wrote:

@tk-2018 wrote:

Congrats!

It has a 99 dollar annual fee that they charge to start with which I was approved for 750 and at six months supposed to double to 1500 just dunno if the 99 annual fee is worth it or not. So I have yet to activate that one . 

Do you qual for Navy Federal? They have a secured card that supposedly graduates. I would because my dad was in the navy but I don't think he had any idea about his documents and he isn't a member so don't know how that works so I was looking at maybe PenFed instead 

Check Mission Lane? 
I just applied there today but it said declined due to the inability to verify my credit references not even sure what that means as I never seen that before. 

Give Navy Fed a call and they can walk you through membership. They are very nice folks over there. 

Siggy updated Feb 16 2023
Chapter 7 BK discharge: 12/19/22
Inquiries: 6/6mo 7/12mo 7/24mo – Latest inquiry: NFCU - Approved 01/23
Financial Goals: Continue to build by wellness business (currently a DBA), heal my credit report with time and good payment history
“You’re never gonna make the shots you don’t take, so you might as well fire away!” – Little Big Town (music group)

Message 6 of 30
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

Open a savings account with PenFed, they are very BK friendly. As I've mentioned before around the forum, 3 months post BK discharge I opened a savings account with them. Then 4 months post discharge I did a cold app for their Pathfinder rewards card and was approved with a $6K limit.

There is also Mercury to consider, they usually have a high interest rate, but if you keep the balance low or pay it off every month, it's a viable option.

Since you burned CapOne, it may take awhile to get back in with them, but they will eventually forgive you. Some people seem to get in 6 months post discharge, others it takes longer. It took 14 months post discharge for them to approve me. Every time prior to that, I got the message that I wasn't pre-approved for anything because of my past CapOne accounts. And then last month, CapOne approved me for a second card, the Savor One. So if you can just hold out awhile there and periodically check the pre-approval portal, they will eventually let you back in.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 7 of 30
tk-2018
Valued Member

@MileHigh96 wrote:
Open a savings account with PenFed, they are very BK friendly. As I've mentioned before around the forum, 3 months post BK discharge I opened a savings account with them. Then 4 months post discharge I did a cold app for their Pathfinder rewards card and was approved with a $6K limit.
I just opened a savings account with them. So now just gotta send some money there since it don't seem that they are close to me.

There is also Mercury to consider, they usually have a high interest rate, but if you keep the balance low or pay it off every month, it's a viable option.
This seems to be an invite only option so it  looks like i need to get an invite from them somehow. 

Since you burned CapOne, it may take awhile to get back in with them, but they will eventually forgive you. Some people seem to get in 6 months post discharge, others it takes longer. It took 14 months post discharge for them to approve me. Every time prior to that, I got the message that I wasn't pre-approved for anything because of my past CapOne accounts. And then last month, CapOne approved me for a second card, the Savor One. So if you can just hold out awhile there and periodically check the pre-approval portal, they will eventually let you back in.

Chapter 7 6/22.

Verge 750

Message 8 of 30
MileHigh96
Frequent Contributor

I believe that I got my Mercury card invitation to apply through either Credit Karma or through Experian.
BK7 discharged - 06JUL2021
Loans:

Revolving Accounts (in the order they were opened):

Closed accounts:
Message 9 of 30
Creditrecipe
New Contributor

Follow the bk to 700 sticky (insert your 3 card choices) and you will be set.

It is a process but worth it in the long run. I am 18 months out of ch 7 and am at 682. 

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.