Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting the rebuilding after Chapter 7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Starting the rebuilding after Chapter 7

My discharge happened on 9/25, I know I need to start rebuilding.  I burned NFCU (only $500) and CAP1 ($800), so decided to try a secured card with Discover to start things off.  I was just approved for secured, with $200.  I want to make sure I do this correctly though.  To make the most of this, I know I can't just hold the card, I need to use it, but don't want to carry a balance.  So, I think I need to identify the date it reports and be aware of the day the cycle closes.  I want to make sure I know when to pay it off to avoid paying interest, but when to have a balance to show use.  Please help me understand!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Starting the rebuilding after Chapter 7

Welcome! You got the right mindset. It takes a little time for Disco to report your due date. Sometimes its a week later and sometimes its a month away. Its a wait and see. Keep checking the website. Could pop at anytime. If you can pay off NFCU. You have a small chance of getting back in with them in time. Cap1 usually is closer to a year out. They are forgiving more than others. Congrats and Good Luck!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Betterthanbefore - I would contact NFCU and offer to pay them back, it's only $500.  Capital One will let you back in eventually.  Try the AZEO method.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi betterthanbefore,

The amount of time you have between when the balance posts and when you have to pay before you get charged interest is called the "grace period."  different banks have different policies for grace periods.  Some have none (i'm looking at your CreditOne).

You can find the grace period in the disclosures when you apply for the card.

Message 4 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Betterthanbefore - I would contact NFCU and offer to pay them back, it's only $500.  Capital One will let you back in eventually.  Try the AZEO method.

AZEO will work the best after getting 3 cards. FICO doesnt like more than 50% of accounts reporting. Once the OP gets a second card. Then yes have 1 report and one show zero balance. Thats the borderline. Once the OP gets 3 cards. Then the bonus for AZEO will really kick in. Due to 33.3% cards reporting. Since OP has 1 card. PIF each statement until more cards can be obtained.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to go look up AZEO method now.  Learning all I can!

Thank you!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.