cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still being charged minimum CC payments following CH7 filing...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still being charged minimum CC payments following CH7 filing...

Just checked my bank account this morning and found a charge from Synchrony for one of two cards I have/had with them. Are they allowed to continue charging me?

This account was set to autopay, but when I attempted to login to the account following my petition filing for CH7, I was longer able to access the accounts. What should I do in this case? Contact Synchrony directly? I do NOT have an attorney. I used Upsolve to prepare and file my petition, and they have been extremely helpful with all of my questions, but sometimes take a day or two to respond.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Still being charged minimum CC payments following CH7 filing...

I'd call and tell them you withdrew $ from my account and denied me access online due to filing for BK. Please refund the funds or you'll notify the courts of a violation of the automatic stay. And while your at it cancel my auto pay ASAP.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

When was the payment taken?  I saw where you said you just filed on January 28.  Maybe try had not been informed yet.  Not being able to access accounts online after filing is common.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I'll give them a call today.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was taken yesterday, eight days after I filed. As of 01/31, I was unable to login to my Synchrony accounts, suggesting that they were aware of my CH7 filing by then.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE

I contacted Synchrony today and they are saying they have NO record of this payment being made on any of my accounts (CareCredit, Newegg, Wal-Mart). The odd thing is that Newegg and Wal-Mart payments came out just before I filed, so the only one left unpaid was CareCredit, the minimum for which is around $70. This Synchrony charge was for $28. What the heck is going on? They assured me they no longer have my autopay information on file, but I'd love to know what they were charging me for!

My bank didn't have any more information on the charge, but suggested I dispute and put a stop on it.

Message 6 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Looks like timing. Yes you filed but it takes time for the court to notify all invovled. Took payment after filing. They probably got the notice and they may have refunded the payment back to your acount once they saw the dates. They dont want to be in violation. See if there's a credit in your account. Give it a few days. This might explain why they cant see it. It isnt there and they wiped it out to stay compliant.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help, everyone. It turns out the rogue charge was actually from my ex's NewEgg card...it has been charging to my account for 11 months! Glad filing CH7 has me paying closer attention to my bank charges, or I would have gone on assuming those charges were for my own cards. Yikes!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.