cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still blacklisted from Capital One after 5 years!

tag
DatGalMoe
Valued Member

Still blacklisted from Capital One after 5 years!

I filed CH 7 in feb 2018 it was discharged in May. I get offers from Capital One in the mail, but when I use the prequalify tool I always get this message - "we've observed activity on a prior capital one account, that isn't consistent with our expectations..."

The card I had was discharged for about $400. I even tried to call and pay what was discharged and was told I couldn’t do that. Anyone else have this happen? And how long until you got back in with them? Is there anything else that I can do because been almost 5 years! or should i 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Still blacklisted from Capital One after 5 years!

i would just start tossing the offers in the garbage and forget about Cap1 - they are not anything really special 

there are so many other lenders/CCs you can persue instead

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 2 of 18
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@DatGalMoe wrote:

And how long until you got back in with them? Is there anything else that I can do because been almost 5 years!

Keep waiting.  I included Cap One in my Feb 2017 Ch 13 and they just opened the door for me in January... nearly 6 years later with a $500 QS card.  It's not much... but it's a CB card with no AF so I'm pretty happy with it.

I don't much care about the account but I'm going to use it a lot... hope for a CLI down the road... and later on (in 2024 when my reports are clean) apply for their better cards.  I had a $10k Venture previously along with some other high limit cards.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Things are tightening up with CO's, Repo's, forclosures, auto loans, ect on the rise. Might be the new no soup for you comment.

Message 4 of 18
Rogue46
Established Contributor

That's really odd considering this forum is loaded with people getting right back in with Cap one me included. I believe I got back in after Including them in bk in less then a year

Message 5 of 18
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Rogue46 wrote:

That's really odd considering this forum is loaded with people getting right back in with Cap one me included. I believe I got back in after Including them in bk in less then a year

Yes, but on the other hand, as @FireMedic1 mentions, things are tightening up it seems. In 2014 I was just a few days post discharge and Cap 1 let me back in. I burned them.  Internal policies change and they may be adjusting to the current  environment. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 6 of 18
donkort
Valued Contributor

There's other credit card servicers....

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 18
EAT_SLEEP_JEEP
Valued Contributor

@donkort wrote:

There's other credit card servicers....

This. No way I would sweat not getting back in with them right now. I definitely consider the other comments about things getting more stringent by lenders as correct. The roller coaster ride is about to pick up speed and get bumpy with all that seems to be happening. Fed comments, Markets last week after and SVB anyone?

KEEPER EVERYDAY CARDS/ AMEX CHARLES SCHWAB PLATINUM NPSL/ AMEX GOLD NPSL / AMEX GREEN NPSL/ AMEX EVERYDAY PREFERRED $30,000 CL/ AMEX BLUE BUSINESS PLUS $5000 SL/ AMEX BLUE CASH EVERYDAY $6000 / FIDELITY REWARDS VISA $23,500 SL/ NFCU FLAGSHIP $40,000 CL/ NFCU MORE REWARDS $33,000/WELLS FARGO AUTOGRAPH $8200 CL /

SOCK DRAWERED/ FNBO JEEP CARD $7700/ CAPITAL ONE QUICKSILVER $3000 SL/ APPLE CARD $6500/ / PAYPAL CREDIT LINE $1700
Message 8 of 18
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

DatGalMoe,

Given the current financial environment, it's sounds like CapitalOne has tightened their underwriting requirements. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it, because there are other lenders out there.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't get back into Chase's good graces until my bankruptcy fell off my CR's.

Hang in there! You will find some great approvals soon.

Guyatthebeach

Message 9 of 18
Caliboy97
Contributor

It appears Capital one no longer wants to take risk with people who previously filed bankruptcy. I have two cards directly with them that have a $3600 and $600. Now when I tried to get a CLI the only reason is due to bankruptcy which they never used since I was discharged in 2020. 

Bankruptcy Discharge 9/21/2020
Starting Scores

May Update (Moving)

Slow and Steady Rebuild. Around 15K in revolving credit at 2% and 45K Auto Loan! Hoping to start upping those limits over time.
Capital one Platinum and Quicksilver | Kia Financial 49K auto loan | Navy Fed Secure Card | OpenSky Secure Card | Schools First FCU Card | Grain account | KikOff Loan and credit account | Student Loans Perfect history 16K left
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.