Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still waiting for Navy to pick up car

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still waiting for Navy to pick up car

Question..

I didn't reaffirm auto loan with Navy.  Called them in Dec that I am surrendering. Car still in my driveway as of today. But i rec'd a late charge notice on tags (it was due Jan 2019). I took insurance off the car and have not been driving it since I called them. Have since obtained a new car. Question is, am I responsible to still pay for the tags? Didn't think it would take this long for them to come get the car. If i would've known Navy would not be in a hurry, I probably would've taken my time to get a new car.  But what's done is done, I'm just wondering should I pay for tags? I don't want it go on my credit or they suspend my license or anything because of this.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still waiting for Navy to pick up car

This can be answered by reviewing your state laws or just call your dmv and tell them the situation and ask them what to do.

In my state we arent required to register a car if we dont drive it. So, I could have multiple cars sitting in my garage without plates and nothing will happen to me. My state wouldn't send me a late notice either though.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Still waiting for Navy to pick up car

In my state the registered owner (you) must complete DMV paperwork to declare a change of ownership / release of liability. If this isn't done, you remain liable for the registration. I agree that the best advice is to contact the DMV.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.