cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Loan reporting issues...please advise!

tag
dizzydee
Established Member

Student Loan reporting issues...please advise!

So I am a bit frustrated with Experian. I filed bankruptcy last year and it was discharged De 2011. I did NOT include my student loans and have been paying them faithfully forever. If you look at my report, Experian, it shows al payments in the green, but they listed my student loans under adverse accounts and the ref line states included in bankruptcy. I am trying to get that changed as an "account in good standing". What happened was at the beginning of the year after the bankruptcy was originally discharged, I pulled my reports and started making sure they were all updated according to the bankruptcy. Experian however still had items that had been discharged through the bankruptcy as not being updated. So when I called and spoke with a rep, she was so irritated with me for calling and refusing to let her blow me off when I know what was suppose to be updated and included, she changed EVERYTHING to included/discharged through bankruptcy...which my student loans were not. So I called and spoke with another rocket scientist at Experian the other day and explained the situation and she was less than helpful, but told me she would put in a dispute for me. I asked her why she couldn't just change the account to the positive section because she could see that I was making payments and they were all reported on time and never late..but of course she couldn't for whatever reason. So I let her and I just received my investigation results this morning and when I checked out the new info..I see craziness! First she disputed a lot more than the student loan. I have items that have been updated that had nothing wrong with them and the student loans were updated to paid/never late, but still listed under adverse accounts and still states included in bankruptcy. So I plan on calling AGAIN this morning, but before I do, is it worth it. As long as it is listed under adverse accounts, but reports paying on time does it hurt my credit score? Any thoughts? I don't want to call them unless I really have to even though it kills me to see it listed under that section. Any information would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Dlane

Re: Student Loan reporting issues...please advise!

I discharged in 7/2012 and some of my student loans are reporting the same thing in the adverse section, yet they state "Paying as agreed" I don't get it.......... I disputed two that were supposed to be in consolidated and they are showing up as delinquent but other than that Im wondering the same thing.

Starting Score: 11/20/12 TU:568 EX:531 EQ:534 (Lender Pull)
Current Score: TU:568 EX:531 EQ:534
Goal Score: 700
Gardening! Last App: 11-2012, No Apps till 7-2013! Wallet: Capital One $500, Fingerhut $230
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
hrguy
Valued Member

I too have/had this problem - d/c 7/24/2012.  I had to file complaints with the BBB on both AES and Fed Loan Servicing.  I got letters from both of them stating that the updates had been sent.  Miraculously, EX is the only one right now that is reporting my student loans as correct - Paying as Agreed with no bankruptcy notations.  I was advised by others who had student loans with BK's that it does take time, but it does resolve itself.  I would put a call into your servicer and see what the problem is.  Mine are expected to be reporting accurately across all three by December coming up I was assured.  I sent by CMRR to all the bureaus the letters I received from my two student loan servicers stating that my loans were indeed not delinquent or IIB - and so far EX is the only one that updated accordingly.  I also sent by CMRR to both my servicers all three initial credit reports showing the loans as IIB, while I was receiving bills.  I sent this to the legal department @ AES and Fed Loan Servicing to the attention of the General Counsel (Lawyer on staff @ AES and Fed Loan Servicing).  I did report to the BBB and finally got results from AES and Fed Loan Servicing. 

So if you go that route of the BBB - file it against your loan servicer, not the bureaus.  I told the servicers in so many words "EQ, TU and EX have told me that they only report the information that you pay them to report - therefore you are paying them to report that my loans were discharged/included in bankruptcy AND here is the proof, yet you are now mailing me bills for payments on discharged debts - which is it?  If my loans are discharged - then you are violating the permanent stay and I will sue if you do not cease and desist - otherwise if these loans are indeed not discharged, and despite several disputes you have verified to all three that my loans are indeed discharged - therefore I will send no more payments until this is resolved".

That got me results immediately.  I would say the BBB getting involved and me threating to re-open my BK to sue them got the ball rolling quite quick, but it does take time, and you have to stay on them.  I do know how you both feel - I was never late on any of my loans either - and actually these were the only lines I had left outside of my BK that I was counting on to help boost my scores and credit reports since these were my oldest tradelines and the only positives I would have had right after bankruptcy - so stay on top of them and it will change.  Good luck.

Filed BK 7: 2/28/2012 | Discharged: 7/24/2012
POST BK APPROVALS:
NFCU nRewards Secured Visa: $1000 7/12| Apple FCU Secured Visa: $1000 9/12
Toyota Finance Lease: 0% | 0.0008 MF 10/12
Barclay Apple Finance Visa: $2200 1/13
NFCU cashRewards Visa: $2500 3/13

Message 3 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

hrguy - I LOVE your aggressive approach to the servicers!!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
hrguy
Valued Member

thanks IOBA lol, ironically after I posted this, they called me again from AES to say for the third time - updates have been sent to the bureaus, this time instead of CSR's calling, it was the General Counsel himself!Smiley Wink

Filed BK 7: 2/28/2012 | Discharged: 7/24/2012
POST BK APPROVALS:
NFCU nRewards Secured Visa: $1000 7/12| Apple FCU Secured Visa: $1000 9/12
Toyota Finance Lease: 0% | 0.0008 MF 10/12
Barclay Apple Finance Visa: $2200 1/13
NFCU cashRewards Visa: $2500 3/13

Message 5 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I have used the aggressive approach successfully before.  I am always polite and respectful.   

Lol - glad it worked for you.   Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.